Thread: Lighting/ Wiring question

Status
    Single, divorcing, not looking
    Never doubt that the universe is unfolding exactly as it should.

Lighting/ Wiring question

Help!
    I have a hook in the ceiling of my new apartment. It's right over the tv, in a corner, so I bought a pendant light from ikea. It said "can be hung from a hook," so I thought a cord would hang down like those old tiffany style lamps, and I'd just plug it in. TURNS OUT it needs to be hard wired to live ceiling connection.. but there is none there. Is there an adaptor that I can hook it to, some sort of converter, that will turn it into a plug-in-the-wall-while-still-hanging light? Here's the light... http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70109836/

Meh.
    Much obliged for your response. I suppose I could walk into the homo depot and ask, but I'd rather ask "The Butches."

Thanks...
    Girl Next Door

Banned User
    Status
    profile deleted

Solution

Quote Originally Posted by girlnextdoor View Post
    Help!
    I have a hook in the ceiling of my new apartment. It's right over the tv, in a corner, so I bought a pendant light from ikea. It said "can be hung from a hook," so I thought a cord would hang down like those old tiffany style lamps, and I'd just plug it in. TURNS OUT it needs to be hard wired to live ceiling connection.. but there is none there. Is there an adaptor that I can hook it to, some sort of converter, that will turn it into a plug-in-the-wall-while-still-hanging light? Here's the light... http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70109836/

Meh.
    Much obliged for your response. I suppose I could walk into the homo depot and ask, but I'd rather ask "The Butches."

Thanks...
    Girl Next Door
    Hi Girl.

The solution is to buy a cord for the lamp and hardwire the cord directly to the lamp.You dont need a ceiling connection as you can buy cheap plastic cordbeds that cradle the cord (space them out about a ft between)remove the paperbacking exposing the glue and press to the ceiling and down the wall until you are at your wall outlet.Make sure your cord is long enough.Ikea sells lamp cords as well so it wont be a problem.They probably even have the plastic cordbeds that cradle the cord as well.

Banned User
    Status
    profile deleted
    Sorry,I just seen this was ask the butches and as a man my advice probably is not wanted but my solution is very practical and easy to carry out.Good luck.
    Farmboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
    Hi Girl.

The solution is to buy a cord for the lamp and hardwire the cord directly to the lamp.You dont need a ceiling connection as you can buy cheap plastic cordbeds that cradle the cord (space them out about a ft between)remove the paperbacking exposing the glue and press to the ceiling and down the wall until you are at your wall outlet.Make sure your cord is long enough.Ikea sells lamp cords as well so it wont be a problem.They probably even have the plastic cordbeds that cradle the cord as well.

New user: Needs to verfiy email Toughy's Avatar
    Status
    independent entity
    Knowledge of wiring is not just a butch thing. Plenty of femmes and men know more than many butches.

Thread Information