Thread: Bulldagger

Status
    Self-love, my liege, is not so vile a sin As self-neglecting
    There are other things besides beauty with which to captivate the hearts of men. The Italians have a saying: "Fair is not fair, but that which pleaseth."

Bulldagger

Recently I have begun wondering what is the origin of the word Bulldagger. I am pretty sure the word was alive and well in the 1940's, but am not sure when it actually began or if it beginning was in the Black Community. I am also interested in the etemology (sp?) of the word.
    other questions include why did we connect Dagger to the gay community Dagger I bel means a sword or an instrument used to penetrate someone or an animal. Don't see how the word got associated with the gay community. I am also very curious on the origin of the word Dag. As a collector of Daguerrotypes and Ambrotype photos I find it curious the connection , so again woulkd love to know the etemology, the root of the word Dag, and see if their is any reasoning to how the term Bulldagger came to be.
    Scarlette

Status
    Sorry, I have to go paint my toenails.
    It wasn't clear from your comment--you're not trying to tie the origins of dagger/dag/slang into daguerrotypes, are you? 'Cause daguerrotypes were named after the French dude who invented them. (Louis Jacques Mande Daguerre, to be precise) But thanks for the incentive to drag out the Alternative Process photo book I have that's got instructions on how to do daguerrotypes. (Wouldn't that be a rockin' cool project, though--modern daguerrotypes of bulldagger-types?)

Status
    happy

Bull Daggers

I am curious about the history of such words, as well.

Will try to do some research and ask some elders what they recall...

adoring history
    d
    Last edited by Lady_Di; 02-28-2006 at 12:37 PM. Reason: gotta love em~!

Status
    Single. Not looking.
    I know its an older term, but one that I just love!
    I love me some BullDaggers and BullDykes!
    Yummy

Will see what I can find as far as history.
    You are an interesting woman SilverV!
    Many are Called Few are Frozen

Status
    Single. Not looking.
    Definition: This is a term that was used in the 1920s to define a very butch lesbian. Often Africian American.

It just sounds sexy, doesn't it?????

Status
    There are other things besides beauty with which to captivate the hearts of men. The Italians have a saying: "Fair is not fair, but that which pleaseth."
    Yes I agree it does sound sexy, however I still am wondering how bull and dagger came to be aligned with butch...as I previously I am one of these girls who can really get into the history of words. I bel this term may have been more used by the black community, but why and how is my question.
    Lets hope someone more in the know will have some info for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalipstic
    Definition: This is a term that was used in the 1920s to define a very butch lesbian. Often Africian American.

It just sounds sexy, doesn't it?????

Status
    single
    I wouldn't hurt a fly, unless it asks me to.. Nicely. - Me *g*
    hmmm

was just talking with a friend about this very term.. i would like to know the history as well..

*subscribes to keep an eye on this thread*
    ~PrinceShowUYourEveryDreamNSwitchUInBetweenNookie~
    of tha Island of Dreams.

The beatings will continue until moral improves...

Status
    ;~*~;
    UniverseEarth
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverVictorian
    Yes I agree it does sound sexy, however I still am wondering how bull and dagger came to be aligned with butch...as I previously I am one of these girls who can really get into the history of words. I bel this term may have been more used by the black community, but why and how is my question.
    Lets hope someone more in the know will have some info for us.
    for me personally, i ID as bulldagger, i am not african american, but i have been called that as well as deisaldyke, so growing up those terms seemed to identify or give me ME a picture of how i was and who i would become, which now i choose to use and define bulldagger as stubborn(I AM) and made/created and 2b handled with extreme carefulness and caution.
    (THANK GOD FOR THERAPY+MEDS HUH ) but seriously i really agree w/the whole history of words, stuff, i love words and origins and meanings etc.
    so that is why i wanted to get in this thread. interesting topic.
    (BTW - I HAVE A DAGGER TATTOO ON MY LEFT BICEP GOING THRU A HEART AND THE WORD 'HATE' IN THE RIBBON - was a bad yr for this lil'dagger)
    ChicahuaYolotzin-;;-;->
    <-;-;;-StrongHeart

Status
    Unattached......
    Trusting is neither wishing nor hoping; it is a deep sense of honor in another. Also, in Oour lifetime, the best Wwe can hope for is a sincere apology.

On-line References.....

O/one would think that the Library of Congress would have some book or other which could hold many answers to this question, yes? i think it's available on-line, and some research may come up with some interesting answers......

In another vein, am i the only one, or do any of Y/you dislike this light gray-colored type?

sweetly,

lady blonde....

Status
    single
    mimi thank you! i enjoy the "bull" refrences as well

On a side note.. be careful when citing or using Wikipedia, the articals are all done by folks online, and may not be totally reliable.. but it is a really great starting place for info

thanks again, mimi
    of tha Island of Dreams.

Status
    single
    for the record.. it was drawn to my attention that my above comment could come off in a bad way.. i didn't mean to disrespect Mimi's effert or research.. was just sharing something i'd learned recently about Wilki..

Sorry if i've offended anyone or thrown the thread off..

In Light,
    Tony
    of tha Island of Dreams.

Status
    Single. Not looking.
    No way, what you said is true, but interestingly much of Wilkipedea is supposedly pretty accurate.

Her definition sounded right on.

I researched a bit earlier, but right now, my brain is fried. May work on it soon, if I have time.

Status
    single
    yes, i very much enjoyed the definition.. just sorry i made it seem like it was bunk.. lol

*will sit quiet now as those more learnded post and i'll learn*
    of tha Island of Dreams.

Pink Femme With A Bit of Steel For a Backbone.
    Status
    Attached
    Life is to friggin short... so how important is the drama really?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrMsf2005
    for me personally, i ID as bulldagger, i am not african american, but i have been called that as well as deisaldyke, so growing up those terms seemed to identify or give me ME a picture of how i was and who i would become, which now i choose to use and define bulldagger as stubborn(I AM) and made/created and 2b handled with extreme carefulness and caution.
    (THANK GOD FOR THERAPY+MEDS HUH ) but seriously i really agree w/the whole history of words, stuff, i love words and origins and meanings etc.
    so that is why i wanted to get in this thread. interesting topic.
    (BTW - I HAVE A DAGGER TATTOO ON MY LEFT BICEP GOING THRU A HEART AND THE WORD 'HATE' IN THE RIBBON - was a bad yr for this lil'dagger)
    Now that is one term I haven't heard in years! Damn bulldagger? LOL long-time.. omg .. I'm old!
    Pink Is More Than Just A Color...
    ...It Is An Attitude Of Being.

Status
    sorceress of a tangled curse...
    charm..ed ...but not charming ;-)

Perhaps an influence...

"Boudicca (or, Boadiciea,) Chieftess of the Iceni of the East Anglia, leads Celtic rebellion against Roman invaders, destroying cities of Colchester, St. Albans and capturing London. She was finally defeated after the Romans brought in reinforcements, and rather than be humiliated by them, she poisoned herself. Many feel her name (pronounced BOO-DEE-KA) is the origin of "bulldyke." "

also this:

"bulldagger - lesbian, variant of bulldyke
    bulldyke - lesbian, variant of dyke, possible variant of bedecked->bediked->bulldyke
    "

Status

wow

what wonderful replies thanks ever so much.
    lady b I am going to try and look into the libr of congress, and see what I can find if I find anything worth sharing will post it.
    MrMSf2005 Gosh I hope I typed that right. Your life experiences, and your POV on Bull dagger was very interesting to me. Btw I went to your gallery but didn't find a pix of the tat your described and of course would like to see it.
    Mameha sweetness thank you for the information you found what a history we have.
    Speaking of history 1 of my fav subjects I couldn''t help but think wouldn't it be WONDERFUL if all the lesbian herstory archival centers had all their journals diarys, papers etc on line for us to read to our hearts content. I am sure Yours truely could spend hrs upon hrs their. Then I also think of what soi many have in thier attics being totally clueless to what it is worth , or worse let it become damamged, ruined or worse case scenario because of embarrasment or some such ilk destroying it.....

Ok I am done ..... for now
    at least
    Scarlette

Status
    set for life
    The definition that mameha has provided is the definition I am most familiar with. Thank you mameha.

Thread Information