View Poll Results: Going back to school?

Voters
263. You may not vote on this poll
  • I went when I was younger

9 3.42%
  • I plan on going back ..someday

13 4.94%
  • I am currently back in school

57 21.67%
  • Im over 30 going back

83 31.56%
  • Your never too old to go back

95 36.12%
  • Im too darn old to go back

6 2.28%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Going back to school after 30

Status
    single
    I haven't been on for a while, been finishing up my medical billing and coding course. I finished up the coursework in Dec. Then I had to move and now I am working on getting my epilepsy under control I am working on getting on depakote for my absence seizures. I will start an externship as soon as possible and will graduate in either in May or October.
    Personal website (NEW) earn money while networking and making friends.
    http://profile.yuwie.com/pheonix6209

Freelance writer: http:www.associatedcontent.com/lang

Status
    Eligible Bachelor
    "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go where there is no path....and leave a trail."
    So I am not 30 yet (it's a few years down the road for me..), but graduated with a BA in Psychology 3 years ago and I've been out of school and in the working world long enough for an experience gap to be present between myself and traditional undergrads. I haven't found any threads that were specific to going back to school later in life but still under 30, but I thought it is somewhat related.

I was going through some very troubled and tough times during my undergrad years especially with my family, who was not accepting of the way I was and acting very confrontational and combative towards me and this had a negative affect on my academic performance and my confidence. There were other things like because of my being the only granddaughter, female born child of my grandparents' grandchildren, my grandparents wanted to keep me 5 years old mentally forever. I was never encouraged to try anything outside of music or what I majored in or what I showed interest in in high school. I won't really go into detail...but..basically I came from a very dysfunctional family and it had an effect on me as an adult in general.

Anyway back to the school...because of those issues I didn't do well academically and had no direction at all in what I wanted to do or wanted to explore or was just discouraged by my dad from it. My grades are not graduate school admission material and I'm not in the best position to go to graduate or professional school because I haven't decided what I really want to specialize in. It's taken a long time to unlearn the bullshit and heal and allow myself to take control of my life and explore it on my own, and I'm now looking at going back to school all over again.

They've cut funding in CA for 2nd BA applicants, so it looks like doing coursework at a community college and either going back to 4 year as a transfer or just applying for further study after I finish coursework at a community school. I want to go into medicine or nursing some kind of natural science, so I am looking at majoring in biology and then deciding what I want to do from there since that can lead to several avenues. I took a neuroscience/pharmacology course a year-ish ago at a continuing ed program and really enjoyed it and found that I was good at it and did well in it. But, to go further with that stuff, I'd need a good background in science which I don't have.

Basically, my goal is to just do well, stay encouraged, and build academic relationships with professors, and pursue my career goals after that....just to let myself live my life and grow into myself more.

I feel energized and ready for school now because I'm able to take care of myself on my own and am able to articulate myself on how I identify, what my curiousities are, and because I have a lot more healthy interaction and relationships going on that I ever did before. I know it will be a long haul but I am eager to learn and be the best that I can be intellectually now.

I wonder if any one else has done this, after already earning a BA or a BS, and how you made ends meet in terms of living expenses. I'm also wondering if anyone is in CA and has experience with the university system in regards to getting a 2nd BA after you already earned one some time ago. It's somewhat of a scary leap to be starting from scratch, but empowering in knowing that I can take care of myself and find my own way now. I have an appointment with an admissions counselor on Monday evening at a school in my area, but the tricky part is maybe not being able to erase the BA that I "earned" 3 years ago. Honestly I want to, but don't want to be penalized for it if some policy circumvents something. The school does offer most classes in the evening as well as in the day so it is a possibility that I could work during daytimes but I'd want a less demanding job than I have now. I just don't want to be going in circles when I'm 35 or going in circles in the field I am now for the next few years always wondering what I want to do without trying anything.

Status
    single
    It doesnt matter where you have been,,what matter's is where you are going...
    every time I try to go back to school I have to have surgery,,well,there isnt much more they can do to me so I am gonna try once again ,,aiming for the summer semester

Status
    Single

You're Never Too Old to Go Back

I am (oops!) _____. I don't reveal my age but I am going back after ____ years.

Status
    Single and looking
    Love her like it's her last day on earth.
    Want to say thanks to everyone here, in reading everyone's good experiences has been very educational and enjoyable. After many many (won't tell how long...lol) years I am considering going back to school to finish the degree I started so long ago. My hat is off to all of you!!!!!!

Status
    single
    so,,has anyone gone back to school later in life and had problems with math ? I took the GED at 17 and got outta school but never had algebra,,I passed everything else college level,,so my problem is gonna be learning this at 48 yrs old

Stonebutch, masculine id'd....hy, not he...femme admirer
    Status
    single, not looking
    Que sera sera
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole74707 View Post
    I am (oops!) _____. I don't reveal my age but I am going back after ____ years.
    Aw go on tell us your age lol!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shepzone View Post
    Want to say thanks to everyone here, in reading everyone's good experiences has been very educational and enjoyable. After many many (won't tell how long...lol) years I am considering going back to school to finish the degree I started so long ago. My hat is off to all of you!!!!!!
    I am 42 and am hoping to start college in September!!

Status
    single
    I finally made it back to school..yay ! Had my 1st mid term and did good on it,,so Im encouraged ! I hope everyone else who has been back in school is doing well !

Status
    terminally monogamous, terminally single
    "We are born naked, and the rest is drag." - RuPaul
    Quote Originally Posted by luvin61 View Post
    I finally made it back to school..yay ! Had my 1st mid term and did good on it,,so Im encouraged ! I hope everyone else who has been back in school is doing well !
    Congrats! I am a second-year law student at age 34. It's curious because my brain doesn't work the same way it used to (not necessarily worse, just different) and I look at the world differently than do some of my younger classmates, but I think it was the right thing to do. Sometimes I wish I had done it earlier, but it's only too late when you're dead. Plus I have been told by internship supervisors that they appreciate how much more mature and tolerant of ambiguity I am than younger students.

So right on, you who are going back to school! You're doing something really important for yourself and you appreciate it all the more when you've lived a few more years than all those other kids. Good luck with the new semester.

Butch if I hafta be stuck inna box, but I prefer just to be attractive in my own unique, sexy way!
    Status
    Totally smitten, in love with my wife so much so I look poleaxed!
    If I am very angry with you, it's then even more important NOT to cause you harm with my words or deeds. Unless of course I have nothing left to lose, then you are fucked!
    I'm back in school as well. I started back last August and was very proud of meself for pulling a 4.0 in all my classes with my dain bramaged self. I find the discipline comes easier at 40 than it did at 20, as well as the knowledge I have acquired assists me to be a better student than I was when 18 or so ya know...I really wish that I had put off my first two semesters of college back then and just gone to work and therapy, gotten my shit together, instead of sinking further into my craziness. LIve and learn though, right...
    Sip joyfully from this world of sorrows
    Never say or do anything you would be ashamed to see on youtube
    Walk in the light, but honor the darkness.
    I can count to potato!

Basic Member
    Status
    Attached

Thumbs up Brave ones

To all of you out there... who are brave enough to return to school in any way you see fit..

I am a tutor of 49 with lots of experience in suppporting academic research by older students as we call you. I gave lectures in research methodology for life sciences.

In my experience men did always start with the support of their wifes, hetero women seldom did start with that kind of support, and the lesbian women usually arranged the best "back up groups" (or "cry out and restart - trustworthy circle"). We found that no matter what the previous education level, for over three quarter of succes lies in the mental space (and sometimes also physical space) a student arranged for herself.

That is really important.

Additional advice...
    Find co-students that have similar backgrounds as yours, it can be the hardest thing to study among 18-20 year olds when you are over 30. Not alwaysof course but I knowfrom students who said it was too lonely.
    And.. Life experience makes it at times much easier to learn and understand. Whereas the brain is slower in learning just knowledge. Comprehension and integration of complex topics is usually easier when older. More background info to use in your own mind is readily available.
    I'm wishing on a star...to follow where you are

Maybe you will enjoy my stories: The Mayor (Link), or: Giddy Up (Link). or the rather short story: The Office (Link)

Status
    single
    I just got my grades from my classes Im at 3.75 gpa..yay ! New classes start Monday !

Status
    terminally monogamous, terminally single
    "We are born naked, and the rest is drag." - RuPaul
    Great job, luvin!

Status
    we are all options.
    I believe education is for everyone no matter WHAT age. Age knows no difference, although being older sometimes helps to graps things a bit easier. I have found some difficulty though in certain areas dealing with education. I am not currently enrolled this semester but will be in the next. Math has always been hard for me and these days elementary children are doing college courses. Its insane.!! I enjoy it though. Im currently 1 1/2 years in and majoring in Clinical Psychology minor in social work/journalism. Big high five to those AFTER 30 continuing their education. I think its quite admirable.
    "...please refresh my memory status, I write to forget."--kane

Status
    attached
    Live each day to the fullest, you may never know if it is your last..
    I wanna go back to school as well.. I will be 33 this yr, and honestly folks, I dont wanna be a janitor, ESD Aide, fast food anything anymore.. I want something more for my life.. I have always had a love for the med field, and was a volunteer FF as well.. But I am a lil lost on how to get started on finding out info for the nursing program.. I have my GED, but no SATs or other tests like that taken.. Im gonna go for my ASN...So, if there are any nurses out there or anyone who can help me with the steps I need to take, that would be great....Thanks and have a blessed day....EC
    Patience, is what I must learn. Education, is what I learn everyday. Following my heart, is what I will do, no matter what...

Daddy loves Hys Ling, my sexy babygirl. It will be our time soon enough baby, soon enough...

Status
    NOT looking
    I am 47 and started going back to school a few years ago......I am going for my AS in Health Information Management but will have my medical coding certificate after next spring. It is taking forever because I work full time and can only take 2 classes a semester. I think going to school when you are older makes you try harder....I am obsessed ....I have a 4.0 EEEKKKKKK !!!

Status
    busy
    I'll be 32 this year. Next month I will be finishing up my first semester back in school, in dual Human Services and Substance Abuse Counseling degree programs. I'm certainly enjoying it.
    Last edited by dixielady; 04-05-2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: can't seem to spell today lol

Butch if I hafta be stuck inna box, but I prefer just to be attractive in my own unique, sexy way!
    Status
    Totally smitten, in love with my wife so much so I look poleaxed!
    If I am very angry with you, it's then even more important NOT to cause you harm with my words or deeds. Unless of course I have nothing left to lose, then you are fucked!
    This semester is really taking a toll on me. I was hoping to put the surgery off, that is impossible. Now I have been under such a strain from pain that I have to be highly medicated and can't function at school. So I am not returning until after the sugery. I know that my gpa is suffering for my absences, but I am not capable of enduring the full day required to attend and get the lectures. Thank gawd for the black board function my college has.

I salute any and all who are trying to keep their world afloat and do the school thing as well. The difficulty in time management seems to the most stubborn obstacle at the most inopportune times.
    Sip joyfully from this world of sorrows
    Never say or do anything you would be ashamed to see on youtube
    Walk in the light, but honor the darkness.
    I can count to potato!

Status
    Single
    I know I am not quite 30 yet but at 28 almost 29 I think I am close enough I am currently taking a few classes here and there and I am not even close to obtaining a degree yet! I will be well past thirty before I finish.

I have been applying to different schools and interviewing with different schools over the years but with the cost of tuition and the bad economy it has been very hard for me to get the proper funding to go. I don't come from a rich family and I am a young business owner struggling to get my business off the ground due to limited capital. I am currently applying to a school in London and I am hoping this time around everything will work out.

How has everyone been dealing with private student loans and the bad economy? I have a clean credit report and a pretty good score (over 700) but yet I am still concerned about getting turned down for a loan in this economy. Does anyone know what the minimum credit score is without a co-signer in order to obtain private student loans?

Status
    looking
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion, if you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dali Lama
    I was really not sure I wanted to go back to college. I was afraid to go back to the school where I had messed up sooo many years ago and inquire about how I would go about it and if I had any credits from back then. I felt too old but I went anyway. I felt like I was in high school..a little embarassed that everyone was sooo much younger than I. I spoke to the dean and explained my situation and asked if there was anything I could do because I knew that I had messed up my credits and GPA pretty badly back in the 90's when I was using and drinking. I felt stupid sitting there and I wondered what she thought of me. Although I couldn't get those bad grades off my record she said she would be happy to help me get signed up for classes in the fall..I was scared but I did it anyway. 2 weeks ago..I graduated Magna Cum Laude and I'm continuing to work on my masters degree. My life has changed sooo much from my choice to go back. I don't know much about the student loans but I get some financial aid and I work to pay for my classes and books. Sometimes the college can hook you up with jobs to help pay or in exchange for tuition. Your never too old, i'm 45 now and will get my masters at 48. I'm excited!!

Basic Member
    Status
    Attached
    Okay, you all, I'm 49 and usually I am your teacher, tutor or educator.
    I work on university level in Europe and educate Research Mehtodology for Life Sciences to International students.
    Usually that is my point of viiew in here.

Today I proudly present my sister, 47, who was admitted to an university level course in physical therapy.
    To get in she had to prove to be able to learn a lot in a short time. First at personal physical exercise level: take critiscism well.
    Learn in one week: all muscular names, bones, tendrons, movements names, energy cell chemistry, nervous system chemistry, and more.
    At first she choked, then she thought: Let's do this!
    She first read everything and then wrote a summary. Then she read the summary twice.
    Next she spoke the summary out loud into her cell phone; recorded it.
    Next she listened to her own voice for 4 days to repeat the knowledge.
    She made the described moves with her body when she got to them.
    Then she took the test.
    Extensive questioning, she was quite insecure how she would have done.
    Results back: a 9.5 out of 10!

She said: I had to use all learn strategies I know. But it was worth it.
    I'm wishing on a star...to follow where you are

Maybe you will enjoy my stories: The Mayor (Link), or: Giddy Up (Link). or the rather short story: The Office (Link)

Status
    looking
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion, if you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dali Lama
    I love it!! Sooo inspiring late_knight.

Status
    single
    I went back for my BA in English/Secondary Education at 41. Starting my Masters degree at 47. I have enjoyed every moment of it so far. The only bad thing is I'll be paying my student loans off until I retire.
    Stress... what stress???? I am NOT Stressed!!!!!
    Got milk??? (to heck with the milk.....)
    GOT TEQUILA???

Status
    Heart strings are not part of a musical instrument.
    I don't expect miracles, just progress.
    I went back four years ago, and graduated this past may with a 3.5 in English with a focus in Rhetoric and Composition. I am 37 years old. I spent my senior year as a Ronald McNair Scholar and traveling across the country presenting on a paper that I wrote. During this time, I have also started working on a new school of literary theory as well as publish this article. I will be starting the Master's program at CSULB this fall. If I had attempted this 15 years ago, I would not and did not succeed. I needed my life experiences first in order to have the worldview I do today.

Congratulations everyone who has went back and kick the competitive asses of all the 20 somethings!

Status
    Attatched
    HC SVNT DRACONES "Here be dragons" That was used on maps to indicate unexplored territories. The truly courageous explorers ignored the dragon comments and plunged ahead into the unknown.
    I went back to school a year and a half ago. I started going for my early education to become a teacher however I have now decided to become a Social Worker. The most hated profession by those who you are interfearing however the most rewarding for those children who need a voice. I have a 4.0 right now and work very hard to keep my grades above a low A. I almost dropped out when I was about to get a B in algebra. My enrollment counselor thought I was a little obsessed with my grades.

Banned User
    Status
    none
    oh yayyyy!!! i always wanted to go to college so bad, but my life path didn't take me there then. i got to watch my little brother go to college while my parents paid for it all after telling me they couldn't afford to send me. bastids. so i chucked the idea of college a long time ago and drove trucks across the country instead. but now it's much later. and i find myself.....in college! i'm just getting associates degrees though. i'm not as big time as all the hotshots up above. but i'm getting 3 associates at the same time in viniculture, viticulture, and wine marketing. my gpa isn't 4.0, but i go to school double full time (i just cut back to full time this term) for the past two years. i'm almost done with all 3 degrees...maybe two more terms at full time pace. still, i have a 3.3 to a 3.7 gpa depending. stoopid chemistry. fucks me up every time. i'm think about getting a bachelor's, but i can't decide in what yet. there's so many ways i could go. i don't want a bachelor's in winemaking cuz it's offered under food sciences as an emphasis on wine making. i don't wanna be a food scientist. LOL! studying viticulture has taught me lots about agriculture, though, and i think i might wanna do something with that....mebbe sustainable ag. i'm not sure. but i have a fascination with all things bugs, too.....mebbe entymology? i have another year to decide. plus....i just can't picture myself like at a real college! bah!

i forgot....this year i'll be doing a fruit thinning/ripening trial in the pinot noir grapes to settle once and for all differing opinion on fruit thinning methods in the vineyards. my prof wants me to publish it, but i dunno. mebbe *shrugs*

Status
    I'll believe in true love when hell freezes over
    Be yourself, no-one else can do it for you
    I've just turned 34 and after many years outside of academia, I'm now looking into going back to become a psychologist, it may take years, but it's a qualification that's accepted the world over. I want to help kids and adults who have never been able to find their voice, to speak out and be heard after years of repression, lofty goals, but as far as I'm concerned, more than worthwhile.
    Where I'd put the thingy for the thingy with the thingy ... I know it's over by the watchamacall it and the dooey now though!

"I love you more than life itself, But you're all fucking mad." Gotta love Ozzie!

"Bugs and dog turds belong in the toilet" - Butterbean

Basic Member
    Status
    N/A
    nakedfemme.wordpress.com
    Quote Originally Posted by persiphone View Post
    oh yayyyy!!! i always wanted to go to college so bad, but my life path didn't take me there then. i got to watch my little brother go to college while my parents paid for it all after telling me they couldn't afford to send me. bastids. so i chucked the idea of college a long time ago and drove trucks across the country instead. but now it's much later. and i find myself.....in college! i'm just getting associates degrees though. i'm not as big time as all the hotshots up above. but i'm getting 3 associates at the same time in viniculture, viticulture, and wine marketing. my gpa isn't 4.0, but i go to school double full time (i just cut back to full time this term) for the past two years. i'm almost done with all 3 degrees...maybe two more terms at full time pace. still, i have a 3.3 to a 3.7 gpa depending. stoopid chemistry. fucks me up every time. i'm think about getting a bachelor's, but i can't decide in what yet. there's so many ways i could go. i don't want a bachelor's in winemaking cuz it's offered under food sciences as an emphasis on wine making. i don't wanna be a food scientist. LOL! studying viticulture has taught me lots about agriculture, though, and i think i might wanna do something with that....mebbe sustainable ag. i'm not sure. but i have a fascination with all things bugs, too.....mebbe entymology? i have another year to decide. plus....i just can't picture myself like at a real college! bah!

i forgot....this year i'll be doing a fruit thinning/ripening trial in the pinot noir grapes to settle once and for all differing opinion on fruit thinning methods in the vineyards. my prof wants me to publish it, but i dunno. mebbe *shrugs*
    Wow, Persiphone, very ambitious! I had to Google viniculture and viticulture (I love learning new words!). Four year colleges aren't for everyone--what difference does it make how you gain your knowledge as long as you're expanding yourself? No one takes the same path. My sister has been a studious on-the-job type learner, my girlfriend is working on her Associate's degree, and I'm working on my 2nd Master's. I'm just about learning no matter how it happens. Good luck with everything.
    nakedfemme.wordpress.com

Status
    with FTM~Ga~boy (Ethan)
    Treat others the way you want to be treated. Remember the lesson but forget the details. Use the stumbling blocks of the past as stepping stones to help build a brighter future.
    I finally decided it was time for me to go back to school to get more than just my High School Diploma. I am taking classes via University of Phoenix and I am majoring in Computer Technology. I wanna be like the Geek Squad when I am finished.
    This is my first year of school, and I tell ya.. it has been anything BUT easy. I chose to do the online thingy due to needing to be home to help out around the house, and in case Ethan needs me. I am glad I chose this route, especially now with all the health problems I have been having. I am able to lay in bed with my laptop if needed and still go to class and get my work done. It feels kinda funny saying I am a full time student at age 41, but at the same time, I cannot help but to feel alittle proud of myself for doing so.
    Cool thing about doing school online, I never have to worry about having enough gas to get back and forth from school, never worry about traffic or a flat tire.. also.. it does not matter where i live, or how I access my classes as long as I have a computer and internet access.. it is all good!

Status
    TAKEN BY deb0670
    NEVER let someone be your priority while they make you thier option.
    I'm SO very proud of you babycakes!! Yer doin' GREAT!
    ~NEVER let someone be your priority while you remain thier option~

Ethan

Status
    with FTM~Ga~boy (Ethan)
    Treat others the way you want to be treated. Remember the lesson but forget the details. Use the stumbling blocks of the past as stepping stones to help build a brighter future.
    Thank you Baby!

Status
    single
    I am almost 1/2 way through my medical specialties program at California College for my AA in Occupational Studies Degree Medical Specialties..I am thinking about going for an RN or Ultrasound/Sonography after I am done.

I just turned 50 in Feb but from what I hear wont be able to get full retirement till I am 70..unless the age goes up again.

Banned User
    Status
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by nakedfemme View Post
    Wow, Persiphone, very ambitious! I had to Google viniculture and viticulture (I love learning new words!). Four year colleges aren't for everyone--what difference does it make how you gain your knowledge as long as you're expanding yourself? No one takes the same path. My sister has been a studious on-the-job type learner, my girlfriend is working on her Associate's degree, and I'm working on my 2nd Master's. I'm just about learning no matter how it happens. Good luck with everything.

thanks! *blushing* i have decided that i'm going to look into a bachelor's in agriculture. the state of ag today is horrifying and i just can't stand on the sidelines and still sleep at night.

wow! a SECOND Masters? i thought i was driven! lol! the best of luck to you love

Basic Member
    Status
    N/A
    nakedfemme.wordpress.com
    Quote Originally Posted by persiphone View Post
    thanks! *blushing* i have decided that i'm going to look into a bachelor's in agriculture. the state of ag today is horrifying and i just can't stand on the sidelines and still sleep at night.

wow! a SECOND Masters? i thought i was driven! lol! the best of luck to you love
    Thanks! Some days I love it and some days I think I'm crazy!
    nakedfemme.wordpress.com

Basic Member Hopelessromantic69's Avatar
    Status
    In a relationship and very happy!
    Honor, Courage, and Commitment is what I live by, if you cant handle it..there is the door!
    After retiring from the Navy at the age of 41 after 20 years, I have gone back to school for massage therapy. It’s amazing! I love the clinical side of massage! I can help children, adults and seniors with specific problems or to just relax. I can't wait to graduate next June. Nothing is impossible..no one should ever feel silly or embarrassed that they are going back to school.
    There is a beast within gentle and fierce..you choose which side to be on..HR

Status
    single
    "Don't quit. Keep Playing."
    I'm 45 and back in school, and I'm glad about that. It's never too late for anyone, I say go for it!!!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread Information