PDA

View Full Version : exotics: for the love of rats, guinea pigs, suggies, and more !

909 Pervertions
12-20-2008, 09:46 AM
did you love a guinea pig as a child ? do you live with a cavy [guinea pig] or two ;) as an adult ?

have you ever held a sweet rat, or read how intelligent a rat - or even watched the cartoon ratatouille ?
i loved it - here is a link with a small review :

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/film_reviews/article2632486.ece

exotic pets require special attention in many areas, and finding a good vet is imperative for check ups, surgical, or medical situations which may arise over their often brief lifespans .

all of these lovely little beings are intelligent in their own ways (l) sometimes it's just unobserved !

best,

robbrt
12-20-2008, 10:07 AM
chinchilla here!

akadyke
12-20-2008, 10:21 AM
i had a guinea pig for years as a kid, her name was nutmeg. she lived for a very long time, 7 years.

i still walk into pet stores and think "hmm, maybe one day again"

cybersuebee
12-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Hey! You knew you'd find me in here, didn't you? Fogetta 'bout the birds for now. Until you've been loved by a chin, a chameleon, by African hedgehogs - well, you haven't lived. (f)

909 Pervertions
12-20-2008, 11:07 AM
hay !

i was wondering if chinchillas could have the same kind of housing as pigs - two years ago, i built a cube type environment, which can be found inexpensively at target- *Organize IT* cubes for like 14$ a box !!

my boars are freewheeling, but there are times i need to separate them - so, usually i simply snap a row of cubes together and they can see, smell, barber, talk to each other. later, after the hump.o.mania fest, or bickering/rumblestrutting [boys!] calms down, a space for reunited appreciation was created! [smile]. in their room, where all of their stuff is, i have the cubes in front of the closet- otherwise, they would run in there and how they love to hide under things ! a small dresser fits into the closet, and inside = their supplies.

this reads like a great site for chinchillas !! i enjoyed the information !

http://www.chincare.com/HealthLifestyle/HealthLifestyle.htm

moo.moo is having a lumpectomy tuesday. i'll post how that goes with the gas, and meds.

guinea pigs, i've read, are more closely related to porcupines and chinchillas .

best,

[[[[ everyone ]]]]

InfiniteFemme
12-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Oooo - How fabulous -- a "safe" place to brag about our exotics. Sadly, I no longer am the parent to any -- However...

I at one time had 36 fancy rats (show) which were long haired russian blues, siamese, hairless, curly and assorted others. My sweet Spunky was my Russian Blue male, and (I will admit here) slept in bed with me.

I also raised Bearded Dragons, Water Dragons, Leopard Geckos, Whites Tree Frogs and African Frogs. Truly miss those days, when I would shut off all the lights in my space, and just listen to the water in their "as natural" living environments. I also had treasured Uromastyx. Plus a variety of other land and water dwellers.

Most I miss my Spunky -- His ashes are right near me always.

Now, the most exotic I have is my treasured eco-sphere. About 40 Hawaiian Shrimp.

Julie

catony
12-20-2008, 02:47 PM
I had fancy rats too, lots and lots of them for years and years. My favorites were the ones with dutch rabbit markings, and siamese. Did some breeding and went to a couple of rat/mouse/hamster shows. I've always said if you live some place where you can't have a dog or cat, rats are the next best pet. (y)(y)

I also had 3 female mice once, and have a story about one of the girls getting pregnant by a wild mouse who got in to our apartment. The result was 15 VERY wild babies. Boy, was that an adventure!

I've had guinea pigs, hamsters, and bunnies too, but my favorite will always be the ratties.

Might try a chinchilla someday.

buyjupiter03
12-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Plain ol' ordinary Norweigan rats here! My boys tend to live (on average) 3.5-4 years...which I've heard is a really long lifespan for rats.

Two of my boys, Eubie & Blake, are so skittish around everyone else that I'm the only one that can really handle them. Eubie, well, he pretty much bites the hand that feeds him, but snuggles up to me and delicately sniffs my fingers with nary a nibble. His brother Blake is a lot more friendly, and loves shoulders. (What is up with rats and shoulders?)

Their step-brothers are soooooo friendly though. The day they were brought home the most skittish one bonded with me and sat curled up on my shoulder/head for an hour. He was in rat heaven. They're more rambunctious though, and if *anything* is left near their cage they grab it and pull it through the bars to test its edibility.

Can you tell that I'm a proud rat mamma? *grin* I do love 'em dearly, and they're a helluva lot more fun/cuter than the cats/dog/snake.

InfiniteFemme
12-20-2008, 03:35 PM
So cool to see other Rat Lovers. My pride and joy Spunkie lived to be 6 years old. Everytime he got a cold, I took him to the Franciscan Friars (love those Assisi Monks) and they would pray for him. Seems to have worked.

The average is 3 years, so anything over that is awesome.

I have never seen Norwegian Rats?

Julie

909 Pervertions
12-20-2008, 04:22 PM
more about climbing on shoulders, top of head !

these guys are fun to foster and even more of a joy to release into the wild !

Younger possums will instinctively search for a pouch. Older possums will instinctively climb up on top of mom (that's you) so don't be surprised when they keep heading up your arm.

They also become terrified when you put them down in the open because they think that they have fallen off. Loud hissing is possumese for "Wait, Mom, I've fallen off!"

Actually, the sound is more like a sharp "Huuss".

Pick possums up and put them down slowly. Picture yourself being that size. Being swept from the floor to chest level is like you going from the ground to the top of a twenty story building in one second.

You can not hold possums like hamsters and gerbils with their feet out in the air. You can not cup them in your hands. They always want to stand on their feet and will always climb to the top of whatever they are on.

good info here :

http://theopossumpage.com/pagekeeping.html

InfiniteFemme
12-20-2008, 06:08 PM
more about climbing on shoulders, top of head !

these guys are fun to foster and even more of a joy to release into the wild !

Younger possums will instinctively search for a pouch. Older possums will instinctively climb up on top of mom (that's you) so don't be surprised when they keep heading up your arm.

They also become terrified when you put them down in the open because they think that they have fallen off. Loud hissing is possumese for "Wait, Mom, I've fallen off!"

Actually, the sound is more like a sharp "Huuss".

Pick possums up and put them down slowly. Picture yourself being that size. Being swept from the floor to chest level is like you going from the ground to the top of a twenty story building in one second.

You can not hold possums like hamsters and gerbils with their feet out in the air. You can not cup them in your hands. They always want to stand on their feet and will always climb to the top of whatever they are on.

good info here :

http://theopossumpage.com/pagekeeping.html

Do you have a Possum as a foster now? I have heard that they are easily adaptable to their foster environment. I am not sure about fostering -- I would have hard time saying goodbye, even though I know the wild is where they belong, and I have no doubt it is deeply fulfilling to introduce them back to the wild - but does this not just break your heart?

I helped raise many years ago baby skunks (momma was killed) and that was a challenge in itself, and heart breaking to say goodbye.

If my present living situation allowed for it, I would love to be able house and foster many of lives wonderful beings. Though again, sad to say goodbye. I have also been told "NO MORE ANIMALS!" eeeek ****

Julie

buyjupiter03
12-21-2008, 01:10 AM
So cool to see other Rat Lovers. My pride and joy Spunkie lived to be 6 years old. Everytime he got a cold, I took him to the Franciscan Friars (love those Assisi Monks) and they would pray for him. Seems to have worked.

The average is 3 years, so anything over that is awesome.

I have never seen Norwegian Rats?

Julie

If you've had many pet rats I'm sure you have. Here's my boys (they're "fancy" rats, bred from Norwegian rats apparently as are their lab cousins):

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn141/dbenek03/?action=view&current=theratboys1.jpg

D

fellasgirl
12-21-2008, 03:40 AM
Ive done the rats, and the guinea pig. Loved them all so much. Now I am only left with one exotic-ferrets. They keep me so occupied that as much as I would love to have rats and pigs again, I simply don't have the time. But I will always miss the rat kisses and the the pig squeeks. There is simply nothing like them. I can't pass a pet store without going in and holding them and trying to figure out ways to find time and room to bring them home. Alas, one day I will cave....and bring another sweet face into the house. For now, the ferrets have unchallenged territory. There is nothing like ferrets who act like dogs, think they are human and are smarter than us.

InfiniteFemme
12-21-2008, 06:34 AM
So cute they are!

There is another name for these -- Tuxedo? Something along those lines, I cannot remember. And I can say, I have never had one of these rats - very cute.

I really want more rats!!

FeminineAllure
12-21-2008, 06:46 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat

cybersuebee
12-21-2008, 06:56 AM
Ive done the rats, and the guinea pig. Loved them all so much. Now I am only left with one exotic-ferrets. They keep me so occupied that as much as I would love to have rats and pigs again, I simply don't have the time. But I will always miss the rat kisses and the the pig squeeks. There is simply nothing like them. I can't pass a pet store without going in and holding them and trying to figure out ways to find time and room to bring them home. Alas, one day I will cave....and bring another sweet face into the house. For now, the ferrets have unchallenged territory. There is nothing like ferrets who act like dogs, think they are human and are smarter than us.

I would love to have ferrets. But I'm not sure if they'd go well with my thirty or so birds. In any case, I think I've reached my max for the moment for dependant life forms. It takes a lot of time to look after them, to mention nothing of the $$$. I always think that I'm not looking after their emotional needs well enough. In any case, they all seem to (l) me, and I (l) them all right back.

Sue :bee:

909 Pervertions
12-21-2008, 07:52 AM
dear infinite femme,

the piggies are enough to handle [smile] . in florida, i worked as a volunteer for a woman who fostered opossums, racoons, turtles, & squirrels. mostly the latter ! i've also volunteered for a bird rehab centre. the baby opossums would curl round my fingers, were very sweet, and played [like the guinea pigs do] with small stuffed toys and balls. you are correct ! opossums are quite adaptable, and not bad as temp. pets, however- their diet and health issues make caring for one a bit trickier than our beloved rats, chins, guinea pigs, ferrets, and birds !

dear cybersuebee,

i know of two ferrets who were staying with an aunt, and their human came to visit. i loved the ferrets -funny to watch jumping into the air, and playing with one another. one time however, they escaped from pen their human forgot to latch, and killed two doves their human also kept, by figuring a way into the bird cage ! - it was a beyond sad, and a bloody mess ! i would love ferrets too, but not with the pigs or any birds for myself after witnessing that experience !

dear akadyke,

i hope my boys make it to seven- but i'm really hopeful for ten !! do you think you'll ever find another pig to live with you ? [smile]. yours must have been well-cared for, aka !

dear buyjupiter,

i loved the photos- thank you ! i'm deeply saddened by animals being used for lab rats or pigs [monkeys, dogs, cats, et c !]. i'm going to post about a dr. who is an activist/advocate for small lab animals soon !

hallo to catony, fellasgirl, and lovely lisa !! wishing you all a wonderful afternoon- it is freezing here in indiana !

organize it cubes for guinea pig pens:

http://www.guineapigcages.com/

i just put down a shower curtain or several heavy duty table cloths, and bring them up a few inches against each wall, so the hay doesn't slip behind. [ohk. well, so tons of hay isn't there whenever i vacuum and put down new vinyl!]. snapping the Organize IT grids together against the walls and over the vinyl makes their area easy to clean, and provides a large square area for exercise, play, for their gardens, food dishes, and so on.

cybersuebee
12-21-2008, 08:00 AM
Belle, that's exactly the kind of cage I have my hedgehogs in. I haven't built any lately - I've been able to find really large rabbit cages second-hand. I also have large exercise wheels in all the cages. You wouldn't think so to look at them, but hedgehogs are running fools! 14kms / night I read somewhere! And to listen to them at night, I don't doubt it. I found one of my hedgies dead the other night. :( I guess the little guy had reached the end of his natural days - I don't think he was sick. It makes me sad every time I find one who has passed. (w)

909 Pervertions
12-21-2008, 08:34 AM
here is the good doctor - going to post the article in its entirety - as well as link, pleasel

[[[[[ cybersuebee - thinking of you, and the loss your family feels - i'm here if you need to talk ! ]]]]]

http://www.pcrm.org/magazine/gm05autumn/balcombe.html

Jonathan Balcombe, Ph.D.: Making a Case for Kindness
PCRM ethologist Jonathan Balcombe, Ph.D., has made a striking case for moving research away from animal use. In a review study published late last year in Contemporary Topics in Laboratory Animal Science, Dr. Balcombe showed that even the slightest contact with laboratory personnel cause measurable physiological stress in mice, rabbits, rats, beagles, and other animals used in experiments.
An interest in and concern for animals was evident in his early childhood. At nine, he wrote an essay detailing the tribulations of life for baby salmon.
“I had a natural empathy for them,” Dr. Balcombe says. “If there’s a gene called ‘fascinated with animals,’ I was born with it. From my earliest memory, I was exploring the backyard, gazing at anything that crawled or squirmed.”
Since December 2002, Dr. Balcombe has worked with PCRM, conducting research and writing about ethical and scientific problems with animal experiments. In his monthly column for the PCRM Web site, “Beyond Animal Research,” he’s called for an end to disturbing and sometimes bizarre animal experiments—from blasting guinea pigs with ear-shattering noises to study hearing loss, to force-feeding tree frogs and then launching them through the air to investigate motion sickness. “Ethical concerns notwithstanding, what scientific justification could there be for such experiments?” he wrote in a recent column.
When he’s not working for PCRM, the research scientist finds time for his hobbies—bicycling, drawing, bird watching, and playing the piano and organ. And he continues to pursue the writing career he began at such a young age.
In his new book, Pleasurable Kingdom: Animals and the Nature of Feeling Good, slated to be published by Macmillan in 2006, Dr. Balcombe makes the case that animals’ lives are much more than a struggle for survival. After all, other creatures revel in daily pleasures, just like humans.
And Dr. Balcombe has kept a close eye on humans’ attitudes toward animals, too. “Without question, the overall trend in humankind’s awareness toward animals is positive,” he says.

catony
12-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Here's my boys (they're "fancy" rats, bred from Norwegian rats apparently as are their lab cousins):

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn141/dbenek03/?action=view&current=theratboys1.jpg

D

Sweet pics of your rat boys.

I loved my male rats, they were usually more cuddly than the girls, and would go limp in my lap while being brushed with a soft brush. My biggest issue with them though is the way they would dribble pee-pee where ever they walked. The girls never did that.

It always cracked me up to see the rats get all riled up and silly sometimes when I would rub their fur backwards.

InfiniteFemme
12-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Catony -- I think the males do this to mark their territory -- Spunky always had this horrible habit of marking me (ugh) as soon as i picked him up. I need to find some old photos of my babies and post them. How cool to read the stories and learn there are so many Rat lovers out there. They really do make the best pets - so mild mannered.

909 - WOW how fortunate for you to be in an area where you can work with all these wonderful animals. How many piggies do you have? I never had a guinea pig, but from what I am reading lately, they make really good companions. Are they social like Rats?

Julie

Tavish
12-22-2008, 12:27 AM
"Rats laugh when they are tickled" video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieP3lpyOHtU&feature=related

:giddy::laughing-tv:

I once purchased a male rat for one of
my grand-daughters but, she was a bit
embarrassed by his extremely large "coconuts"
and so gave him away.
I would have given her a female except
the store had a policy of only selling males.

909 Pervertions
12-22-2008, 05:33 AM
[QUOTE=InfiniteFemme;3020140]How many piggies do you have? I never had a guinea pig, but from what I am reading lately, they make really good companions. Are they social like Rats?

Julie

hi julie !

two boars here- stardust & moo.moo - if you go to my profile page, i think maybe found under statistics [?] , the boys have an album :)

they are outgoing with people ! a lot of people are surprised to learn that guinea pigs are herd beings ! i'm herd hooman.

these guys would not fair well in loud and/or very busy environments [or round people who are inclined toward boisterousness] . they like space, and to have their own belongings - two bowls for pellets, two gardens [pet carriers], two cabanas, et c ! since i'm on the autism spectrum, it works out wonderfully - because i'm pretty quiet, and have a lot of the same sensory overload issues as star and moo ! they are prey animals.

moo.moo, the tortie and white, runs when i ask if if he wants to *come out? - whenever i get ready to open the gate to their room [entire room]. he seems to pick up on a few other phrases like, *get the puppy!* a stuffed toy - should be in the album ! tone of voice, repetiton, and a gigantic intelligent GP brain ;) :P

acceptance of who they are, and their individual limitations makes us all happy (l)

too bad about the rat being given away for anatomical matters :s star and moo are obviously male - and their coconuts hang over the edge of the garden sometimes while they are eating- cracks me up !!

InfiniteFemme
12-22-2008, 05:59 AM
Good Morning 909!

I had the chance to see your Baby Boars. They are absolutely gorgeous. I know with Rats, it is okay for two males to be together, as long as they were raised together. My last two rats were male and shared a bed for 3 years. How are moo.moo and stardust together? Were they raised together. I see they need their own sleeping quarters, etc.

I have never had an interest in Guinea Pigs. Actually, I think this has more to do with the pet shop availability. Though, from what you write and those great photos, they really are quite cute and seem pretty bright and social.

I am the same -- I do not like loud spaces, though we have four dogs -- My dogs are pretty quiet. One day I will have my farm -- and will hopefully be able to experience these exotics. Are the Boars similar to chinchillas? I used to foster Chin's and personality wise, they seem so.

Julie

quote=909 Pervertions;3020370]
How many piggies do you have? I never had a guinea pig, but from what I am reading lately, they make really good companions. Are they social like Rats?

Julie

hi julie !

two boars here- stardust & moo.moo - if you go to my profile page, i think maybe found under statistics [?] , the boys have an album :)

they are outgoing with people ! a lot of people are surprised to learn that guinea pigs are herd beings ! i'm herd hooman.

these guys would not fair well in loud and/or very busy environments [or round people who are inclined toward boisterousness] . they like space, and to have their own belongings - two bowls for pellets, two gardens [pet carriers], two cabanas, et c ! since i'm on the autism spectrum, it works out wonderfully - because i'm pretty quiet, and have a lot of the same sensory overload issues as star and moo ! they are prey animals.

moo.moo, the tortie and white, runs when i ask if if he wants to *come out? - whenever i get ready to open the gate to their room [entire room]. he seems to pick up on a few other phrases like, *get the puppy!* a stuffed toy - should be in the album ! tone of voice, repetiton, and a gigantic intelligent GP brain ;) :P

acceptance of who they are, and their individual limitations makes us all happy (l)

too bad about the rat being given away for anatomical matters :s star and moo are obviously male - and their coconuts hang over the edge of the garden sometimes while they are eating- cracks me up !!

909 Pervertions
12-22-2008, 06:34 AM
[QUOTE=InfiniteFemme;3020389]Good Morning 909!

I had the chance to see your Baby Boars. They are absolutely gorgeous. I know with Rats, it is okay for two males to be together, as long as they were raised together. My last two rats were male and shared a bed for 3 years. How are moo.moo and stardust together? Were they raised together. I see they need their own sleeping quarters, etc.

(f) thank you, julie :)

would an older male rat harm a younger male rat ? moo.moo and star have their moments ! which makes the cubes handy- if i'm going on cycle, they sense hormonal flux, and since i'm part of their herd - the boys compete ! sorry if too much information, but i had not found anything on the topic when i brought them home, and after three times in a row of their fighting [cycle-related for sure then]. cavy compendium has been an absolute favourite site of mine [think it's down fat the moment or maint for week or so], and i posted about their fighting during that time of the month,. some other cavy hoomans recognised that was going on with their pigs too !

someone told me it couldn't be done - living with two adult boars - star is probably about six months older at 3 years, than moo. if plenty of space is provided - physical and mental stimulation- i think it can work. if a girl pig came into the picture, the boys would literally fight to the death i'm convinced.

do rats fight like that as well, julie - and for what kind of reasons, please ?

I have never had an interest in Guinea Pigs. Actually, I think this has more to do with the pet shop availability. Though, from what you write and those great photos, they really are quite cute and seem pretty bright and social.

yes. gpigs are not for everyone. they are genius with Bean-Making :P for starters. the impression seems to me, from lots of people- that guinea pigs just are these moderately active quiet docile beings.

of course, if caged 24/7 - what choices do they have to really shine with personality ?

thank you again for your kind comments - i will be sure to pass them along ;)

I am the same -- I do not like loud spaces, though we have four dogs -- My dogs are pretty quiet. One day I will have my farm -- and will hopefully be able to experience these exotics. Are the Boars similar to chinchillas? I used to foster Chin's and personality wise, they seem so.

Julie

i love dogs (l) i hope you do get your farm !! what kinds of dogs are at your address ?

boars, i've read are closer to chinhillas and porcupines than rats, but i love them no matter what their dna !

rodent - a good word to me ;)

best,
belle
x

Pinksqueak
12-22-2008, 06:48 AM
I’ve had both rats and cavies in my life – and they were the best companions! It's sad when someone has such a kneejerk negative reaction to them based on their rodent status. My rats and my guinea pigs were very intelligent and reconized and retained patterns of behavior and knew when I would be coming home from work. (My guinea pigs would wolf whistle when I walked in the door, heh.)

My rats were always “rescues” from the feeder bin. A few had awful temperaments and needed a lot of vet care, but eventually they came out of their shell and interacted with me without fear or aggression. It was a chore finding a rat-friendly vet in my area. I got laughed at and hung up on a lot when calling around.

Sadly, I’m not a rodent mom right now (my hands are full of canine), but I can definitely see a place for them in my life.

xosqueak, loves their little hands!

buyjupiter03
12-22-2008, 01:20 PM
would an older male rat harm a younger male rat ?

If not raised together, or if one feels that the other is "invading" their territory, yes they will fight. If they're fixed, well not so much. A lot of the "aggression" you see in rats is directly testosterone related. (Hmm...wonder what other species exhibits a lot of that kind of behavior? ;) )

The rat boys that we have are step brothers, and we do not allow them to interact. They were not raised together, and one band of brothers is much older than the other two. If we did allow them to interact they would probably fight as there would now be territory issues, even though they are all fixed.

Our boys do have "fights" with one another occasionally, but most of the time they are light hearted scuffles, like any siblings would have. If one of the rats is ill, they do and can sense that, and sometimes they kind of beat up on the sick one. (So, I've had to isolate and do emergency vet visits on more than one occasion).

Interesting that you mention that your boars are sensitive to your cycle. I've noticed that about my cats--they're more lovey-dovey with me, and just sit on my tummy to give their mama a nice heating pad. The rats are probably just as lovey-dovey, as I haven't noticed any aggression, or other changes in behavior during that time of month.

D.

InfiniteFemme
12-22-2008, 01:46 PM
would an older male rat harm a younger male rat ?

My adult male Spunky was amazing with younger rats. He would care for them, bathe them and play with them so Momma could sleep or rest. On many occasions I would bring home a new young male and put them in with Spunky. The issue becomes, when you introduce two adult males who are unfamiliar with one another, then territory issues happen.

moo.moo and star have their moments ! which makes the cubes handy- if i'm going on cycle, they sense hormonal flux, and since i'm part of their herd - the boys compete ! sorry if too much information, but i had not found anything on the topic when i brought them home, and after three times in a row of their fighting [cycle-related for sure then].

Not too much information at all! I found the same to be true with my Rats. Especially with my males. Spunky would clearly be more protective of me, and “mark” me even more than usual. These little guys are so intelligent and so close to us. Unbelievable really.

someone told me it couldn't be done - living with two adult boars - star is probably about six months older at 3 years, than moo. if plenty of space is provided - physical and mental stimulation- i think it can work. if a girl pig came into the picture, the boys would literally fight to the death i'm convinced.

I agree with you completely. Introduce a female and there could be a war. I never experienced this, as I kept my males separated during breeding time. And I kept the girls in another room, so the scent would not drive the boys crazy.

I have never experienced fighting among any of my rats, perhaps a bit of arguing during play time – I would take all 36 of them out to play at once – competition for me created a bit of bickering. They are extremely social beings and quite familial. I had female rats together with new momma’s. I found them to be quite helpful with the babies. My Siamese was sterile, and her life consisted of taking care of the newborns. And the Mom’s loved the help. People would be amazed at how Rats could live together, raise babies together and care for one another. I have never seen such dynamics in any other Rodents.

i love dogs i hope you do get your farm !! what kinds of dogs are at your address ?

We have… Opus Holland (11 year old Pug) – Ophelia Mae (7 year old Pug) – Fiona Joy (4 year old Boxer) – Samson (6 month old Chihuhua) and then our Cats – Lovie and Luna Sea.
I just love this conversation that is happening in this topic. It is awesome to know there are so many people out there who love these “unconventional” animals in our lives.

Julie

InfiniteFemme
12-22-2008, 01:49 PM
I’ve had both rats and cavies in my life – and they were the best companions! It's sad when someone has such a kneejerk negative reaction to them based on their rodent status. My rats and my guinea pigs were very intelligent and reconized and retained patterns of behavior and knew when I would be coming home from work. (My guinea pigs would wolf whistle when I walked in the door, heh.)

My rats were always “rescues” from the feeder bin. A few had awful temperaments and needed a lot of vet care, but eventually they came out of their shell and interacted with me without fear or aggression. It was a chore finding a rat-friendly vet in my area. I got laughed at and hung up on a lot when calling around.

Sadly, I’m not a rodent mom right now (my hands are full of canine), but I can definitely see a place for them in my life.

xosqueak, loves their little hands!

Pink --

I found the same issues with finding a vet for our rats, as well as our reptiles. I wound up finding an vet who specialized in exotics and made house calls. If you call one of your local "pet" stores, and ask them who they use for their in-house calls, that should be helpful.

Julie

909 Pervertions
12-24-2008, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=InfiniteFemme;3020685]I just love this conversation that is happening in this topic. It is awesome to know there are so many people out there who love these “unconventional” animals in our lives.

Julie

:)
(f)

star, moo, and their human are listening to camera obscura - they love music !

julie, thank you so much for writing here - in this thread, and for your comment above - i, too, feel the same way (l) about our little animal-friends and you all .

buyjupiter, julie, and pinksqueak [hay you!] - i appreciate learning more about rats ! before the boys came along, i was searched for and located a rat rescue group. i wanted to adopt several rats, but the group was no longer active. then the guinea pigs needed a home. maybe next time round, i'll live with rats. this time was meant for pigs :)

i'm going to place some mouth / teeth info here. moo.moo, who is going to have surgery on tuesday [was supposed to be this past tuesday, but due to impassable roads we rescheduled.] now, tumor removal plus teeth exam ! these poor little sweet souls if they are not feeding on quality pellets at the onset - can develop malocclusion issues .

at the moment, he's exaggerating his chewing and his ear movements [intermittently - though eating and drinking same amount as usual]. i did not live with him during the first six or seven months of his life- he was eating crap :s and had nothing to wear down his teeth- like hay cakes, hay/grass/ cardboard / natural apple branches, et c.

i have some critical care if necessary - they love the taste ! guinea pigs will sometimes give up eating if in pain, and must be encouraged along by talking, handing them food, and really lots of TLC, or syringe fed carefully- not sure about rats, chins, ferrets, or bunnies - do they go off their food easily too, please ?

what do you feed your guys, please ? i stick to oxbow products :) for snacks- tiny amounts [only 3 lb pigs!] of orange peel, apple, orange, romaine, dandelion, and if the situation calls- heavy artillery - red pepper ! ha !

here is the info for teeth - guinea pigs, chinchillas, & rabbits -

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=339280

909 Pervertions
12-24-2008, 02:42 PM
help with feeding -

http://www.diddly-di.fsnet.co.uk/Syringe-feeding.htm

cybersuebee
12-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Merry Christmas to all the critters and their humans! :)

Sue :bee:

Lady_Wu
12-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Ni hao and good evening to all! I had good pigs for years. I was a breeder of teddies and rexes and usually had about 12 piggies at a time. I had a special enclosure built for them, with separate sections for the males and females and a breeding section. They had litttle ramps to climb and walled barred walkways over their cage floors-I made sure they weren't bored! I had a television in their roon , so they could watch oiker.net (fascinated them) and a sound system to play different kinds of music (different piggies liked different music!) I loved my piggies and only fed them Oxbow food and treats, supplements by organic fresh tfood approved by the breeder's assoc. I also had outside a child's round turtle pool. I would tkae the piggies in groups and put them in the pool with treats to find , so they could get some fresh air. I learned how to cut nails an even do simple lumpectomies, but I could never cut teeth. If a piggie devel a malocclussion, I always took him/her to the vet right away. I loved my piggies dearly and would have just two now if 1) I could take care of it physically properly and 2) I didn't think XQ would be allergic in some way. I could get paper bedding, so perhaps 2 wouldn't be a problem. But 1 would be the biggest problem, b/c I don't know when I'm going to get very ill. So no little piggies for me, though I miss them dearly. They were the caretakers of my heart. :)

Cybil Rose
12-24-2008, 03:34 PM
I've had my own guinea pig when I was 4 or 5 and that one lived for a few great years. During part of this time my sister got a pig of her own that thankfully got along with my pig well enough to share a cage together. I had a rescue rat in High School that was tame and sweet as hell. Loved to perch on my shoulders. Sadly Nicky died a short while after I got him. But bonded with him enough to cremate him and he currently lives with my bunny on a high shelf out of reach of the cat. Currently I have a sweet little medium sized white rat. I find that these little critters make life so much better.
(k)Cyb

909 Pervertions
12-25-2008, 01:43 PM
hallo to everyone ! hope you are doing well !

moo.moo seems fine now. he must have had a piece of hay stuck between his molars [ i read the gap between the four incisors and twenty molars is pretty large, so maybe in that space] . he's still going to be checked out while he's under for tumour removal - perfect time for examining teeth !

i was lightly rubbing stardust on his cheek today, and he closed his eyes and purrrred !

guinea pigs who sleep with eyes closed, have wiggling ears, and go deep into dreamland are the best !

SweetBlueDiva43
12-25-2008, 01:59 PM
awwww!

moo-moo, was having difficulties???

guinea pig's are so sweet! (l)

i'm glad that moo-moo will have a "tooth" examination and hopefully everything will turn out okay! (((((( lil` MooMoo )))))))))) (k) <~ quick, fake kuss for MM's head!

flashin` muh pearly-whites ovah here :D,

SBD

Lady_Wu
12-25-2008, 04:18 PM
(f)Ni hao! I'm so glad that Moo-Moo's doing better! Still it's best to have him checked during surgery. Piggy teeth are nothing to fool around with. Please let us know how he (she?) is doing after surgery! We care about your little piggy!
Shanti!
Lady Wu:)

InfiniteFemme
12-26-2008, 05:26 AM
Belle,

Just read about poor little moo-moo and his tooth. Glad things worked out. I do not know if I missed something...

But if I did, I am sorry -- What is going on with surgery and his tumor? Is he okay? Benign?

Thinking of you and yours!

Julie

hallo to everyone ! hope you are doing well !

moo.moo seems fine now. he must have had a piece of hay stuck between his molars [ i read the gap between the four incisors and twenty molars is pretty large, so maybe in that space] . he's still going to be checked out while he's under for tumour removal - perfect time for examining teeth !

i was lightly rubbing stardust on his cheek today, and he closed his eyes and purrrred !

guinea pigs who sleep with eyes closed, have wiggling ears, and go deep into dreamland are the best !

cybersuebee
12-26-2008, 01:32 PM
My favorite little hedgie just died. I found her in her cage - she'd crawled out of her hutch as if she wanted me to find her. She was really cold, but still alive. I wrapped her in a towel and held her on my chest until she passed. She was a little darling. I'm really going to miss her.

InfiniteFemme
12-26-2008, 02:31 PM
My favorite little hedgie just died. I found her in her cage - she'd crawled out of her hutch as if she wanted me to find her. She was really cold, but still alive. I wrapped her in a towel and held her on my chest until she passed. She was a little darling. I'm really going to miss her.

I am so sorry for your loss. She is very lucky to have passed in your arms. She was obviously loved very much.

My thoughts are with you.

Julie

909 Pervertions
12-30-2008, 02:02 PM
dear cybersuebee, how are you holding up, please ? i hope you and the critters are doing ohk ! do your hedgies mourn the loss of their friend ?

thank you everyone for asking after moo.moo ! [[[ cybil rose, dawn, lady wu, infinite femme & gang ]]] . what is new with you all of late ?

moo's tumour removal was today today - i dropped him off at 7:30 A.M., and he was home by 1:45 P.M.

the vet remarked that his teeth and mouth were in perfect condition, and to keep an eye on any further chewing issues.

he is still very out of it !!! a couple of times he's come round for nibbles of critical care, and a small bite of apple . stardust is being good not bothering him inside the carrier- i.e., shaking the front door ! i have the door on it for this situation. [in my gallery photos of pigs, you can see The Garden = the carrier]. i'm leaving him there for the night, and tomorrow will put a pen round the carrier and remove the door. the great thing about the carrier/garden is that it has excellent ventilation holes on each side from top to bottom. star and moo see each other, and i placed a bowl of pellets and some grass outside by moo's garden for star = to encourage him to eat .

jude just said while i was typing this that star climbed on the side of the carrier and let out a little wheek-sound ! that's star's brother !

here are his meds:

ABX = baytril 22.7 mg/ml

1 syringe full orally twice daily for 7 days.

pain = buprenorphine sublingual dose
1 syringe full orally twice daily for 6 days.
0.1 ml
[very small amount]

i will keep you all posted. if anyone has a pig who needs surgery, this might be helpful in some small way !

hugs to you all !

belle
x

FeminineAllure
12-30-2008, 02:37 PM
~Hugs~((((((( for moo moo))))))) wishes for a speedy recovery(f)(k)(l)

I am here for you belle(f)

909 Pervertions
12-31-2008, 06:52 AM
thank you dear friend !! xoxo

i hope all is going well for your family - dad and punkin !!

will talk to you later, hopefully-

love,
belle
[[[[ lisa ]]]]

Lady_Wu
12-31-2008, 11:29 PM
{{{cybersuebee}}} Hen baoqian! (I'm so sorry!) I'm sure your little chinchilla took great comfort in being in your arms as he (she?) crossed over the rainbow bridge into the Summer Lands. If you will send me his/her name, I will put it on my altar and pray for him/he.(f)
belle, I think the way you are intergrating Moo-Moo slowly back into the pen is excellent, btw, as are the meds and amounts you have him on. Good job!(y)
I really miss my piggies! (Apologies to chincilla and rat owners.) There's nothing like a little piggie snuggling on your shoulder! My piggies brought me joy, laughter, and solace-they brought me hao. I'd better go before I get morose.
Wan an (Great peace) to you all this New Year!
-Lady Wu

Cybil Rose
01-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Hello everyone just wanted to stop by and check on the owners and their pets. I hope Moo Moo is recovering nicely. Kisses to the little furry friend.
Cybersuebee my heart goes out to you during this time of loss. People tell me I am crazy for morning the death of my bunny and rat to the extreme. But I had a strong bond with them both and I know it's hard to loose a pet no matter what kind it is. It sounds like your little hedgehog was a sweetheart. I've heard they make wonderful pets. One day I hope to have one or two but I need the room to house them. Take this time to remember how wonderful your hedge hog was. And take as much time as you need to heal no matter what others say.
(k)Cyb

InfiniteFemme
01-01-2009, 02:42 PM
dear cybersuebee, how are you holding up, please ? i hope you and the critters are doing ohk ! do your hedgies mourn the loss of their friend ?

thank you everyone for asking after moo.moo ! [[[ cybil rose, dawn, lady wu, infinite femme & gang ]]] . what is new with you all of late ?

moo's tumour removal was today today - i dropped him off at 7:30 A.M., and he was home by 1:45 P.M.

the vet remarked that his teeth and mouth were in perfect condition, and to keep an eye on any further chewing issues.

he is still very out of it !!! a couple of times he's come round for nibbles of critical care, and a small bite of apple . stardust is being good not bothering him inside the carrier- i.e., shaking the front door ! i have the door on it for this situation. [in my gallery photos of pigs, you can see The Garden = the carrier]. i'm leaving him there for the night, and tomorrow will put a pen round the carrier and remove the door. the great thing about the carrier/garden is that it has excellent ventilation holes on each side from top to bottom. star and moo see each other, and i placed a bowl of pellets and some grass outside by moo's garden for star = to encourage him to eat .

jude just said while i was typing this that star climbed on the side of the carrier and let out a little wheek-sound ! that's star's brother !

here are his meds:

ABX = baytril 22.7 mg/ml

1 syringe full orally twice daily for 7 days.

pain = buprenorphine sublingual dose
1 syringe full orally twice daily for 6 days.
0.1 ml
[very small amount]

i will keep you all posted. if anyone has a pig who needs surgery, this might be helpful in some small way !

hugs to you all !

belle
x

belle...

My thoughts are with you and Moo - How is he doing? And of course, how are you holding up?

Just wanted to let you know, I was thinking of you and your crew!

Julie

909 Pervertions
01-01-2009, 05:44 PM
you are all AWESOME !!

thank you so much for asking after moo.moo and his hooman [smile].

he's back on the USGuineShip - the baby changing station - and he hops onto a low flat box to reach the ship, then hops into his little box with carefresh, as of yesterday afternoon ! [neither pig requires the cardboard "porch" to get on the station, they just like to jump and climb low ramps and things].

the vet said the bedding is fine, and his wound is up high enough so even if he does roll or lay on his side, the bedding won't reach. although, the incision is dry now, and the sutures look great. i might post a photo.

one way to administer these meds besides injecting into their mouth, is an easy method !! i slice very thin and small piece of apple- then pat dry. the syringe of ABX i dot onto the apple, which then absorbs the medication. the pain med is put into tiny bit of banana. stress free for mom and moo !!

star has to have something too, because you just cannot give one something and not the other- oh no!!

he sends his love and appreciation for his well-being back to lisa, lady wu, cybil rose, infinite femme, and cybersuebee !!

we had a very quiet bringing in of the new year. pain meds, ABX, checking on moo a lot ! he came down the hallway in usual style this morning with star, and parked it in the kitchen for the bite of romaine. the pain med makes him a lickle sleepy!

happy new year to you, sweet friends !!

i asked cybersue about pet mourning because i saw that in my dog, and am sure it would happen with the pigs too. i hope it did not read funny-

hugs,
belle
moo
star
x

909 Pervertions
01-01-2009, 05:51 PM
i just saw ghost and morpheus !!! oh my goodness, julie- they are gorgeous photos! i was too excited to post on the dogs just yet, because i wanted to write,

how could anyone not realise the pure sweetness of a rat-friend ?

cybersuebee
01-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Hi everyone. I really appreciate all the expressions of sympathy posted since my poor little Daisy passed in my arms. I just haven't had the heart to spend much time on the thread. I'll be back though. I appreciate each and every one of you.

Sue (f)

InfiniteFemme
01-01-2009, 06:07 PM
i just saw ghost and morpheus !!! oh my goodness, julie- they are gorgeous photos! i was too excited to post on the dogs just yet, because i wanted to write,

how could anyone not realise the pure sweetness of a rat-friend ?

Ooooh I am so HAPPY you saw them Belle. These were not my show rats, as I did not have digital back then. But I am looking for an old Picture of Spunky. These babies were rescues from a pet store (food). They really were so sweet, and both males, and just loved one another. They are buried together -- They died a month apart. I miss them.

Julie

InfiniteFemme
01-01-2009, 06:08 PM
you are all AWESOME !!

thank you so much for asking after moo.moo and his hooman [smile].

he's back on the USGuineShip - the baby changing station - and he hops onto a low flat box to reach the ship, then hops into his little box with carefresh, as of yesterday afternoon ! [neither pig requires the cardboard "porch" to get on the station, they just like to jump and climb low ramps and things].

the vet said the bedding is fine, and his wound is up high enough so even if he does roll or lay on his side, the bedding won't reach. although, the incision is dry now, and the sutures look great. i might post a photo.

one way to administer these meds besides injecting into their mouth, is an easy method !! i slice very thin and small piece of apple- then pat dry. the syringe of ABX i dot onto the apple, which then absorbs the medication. the pain med is put into tiny bit of banana. stress free for mom and moo !!

star has to have something too, because you just cannot give one something and not the other- oh no!!

he sends his love and appreciation for his well-being back to lisa, lady wu, cybil rose, infinite femme, and cybersuebee !!

we had a very quiet bringing in of the new year. pain meds, ABX, checking on moo a lot ! he came down the hallway in usual style this morning with star, and parked it in the kitchen for the bite of romaine. the pain med makes him a lickle sleepy!

happy new year to you, sweet friends !!

i asked cybersue about pet mourning because i saw that in my dog, and am sure it would happen with the pigs too. i hope it did not read funny-

hugs,
belle
moo
star
x

belle... so happy to hear moo is improving!

julie

909 Pervertions
01-01-2009, 06:21 PM
[[[ cybersuebee ]]]] here if you need anybody to listen / hold your space with you .

when my dobie of 13 years went on to the next step, i telephoned the ASPCA - toll free and spoke for over an hour- with this woman:

American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)
Dr. Stephanie LaFarge, Director of Counseling Services

Free counseling sessions are offered.

Telephone: (212) 876-7700, ext. 4355
E-mail: counselor@aspca.org
Beeper: (800) 946-4646 PIN Number: 140-7211
Leave your telephone number and Dr. LaFarge will return your call.

it was free, and helped me tremendously at 4 of the clock A.M. when i was alone, in a new state, and seriously low.

there's also a pet loss site here with chats - dr. sife educates the people how to help chat room visitors experiencing grief.

http://www.aplb.org/index.html

dr. wallace sife spoke to me also via telephone after i sent him an e-mail, listed in the back of his book, The Loss of A Pet, which also helped to get me through- and he has worked with stephanie from the ASPCA.

lives of pets are far too short.

909 Pervertions
01-01-2009, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=InfiniteFemme;3027233]Ooooh I am so HAPPY you saw them Belle. These were not my show rats, as I did not have digital back then. But I am looking for an old Picture of Spunky. These babies were rescues from a pet store (food). They really were so sweet, and both males, and just loved one another. They are buried together -- They died a month apart. I miss them.

Julie

(f) julie, i bet you do miss them ! a month apart- wow. my dogs were several months apart. one loss was anticipated, the other unexpected. the dobie was beyond depressed [and very ill- his time was known to be short], after his buddy made the transition before him.

i'm glad you rescued ghost and morpheus- great names :) don't you just love finding the right name for them to be called ?

they must have been so much fun to be around.

[[[ julie ]]]

Cybil Rose
01-02-2009, 07:50 AM
So apparently I have this really cool chest cold that has me curling up into a ball at night with hacking coughs. I discovered last night just how much it upsets Laurie my rat. She was jumping from level to level trying to check on me and climbing all over the inside all night long. She would settle down until I started coughing again. A part of me wonders if I should sleep in the living room so she doesn't get so upset. Funny thing is my cat could care less that I'm sick right now but the rat is all worried about me. Gotta love these sweet creatures.
(k)Cyb

Lady_Wu
01-02-2009, 06:34 PM
belle, So glad that moo-moo is getting back to normal! It's always a joy when the little piggies recover so quickly! I liked your description of how to give them meds with an apple. That's a new one for me. Have to keep it in mind in case I ever get anymore piggies! (Hope, hope,hope.)
Gotta run.
Shanti,
Lady Wu
PS-cybersuebee-how are you doing? if you ever need to talk I'm always here to listen.

InfiniteFemme
01-03-2009, 04:20 AM
[quote=InfiniteFemme;3027233](f) julie, i bet you do miss them ! a month apart- wow. my dogs were several months apart. one loss was anticipated, the other unexpected. the dobie was beyond depressed [and very ill- his time was known to be short], after his buddy made the transition before him.

i'm glad you rescued ghost and morpheus- great names :) don't you just love finding the right name for them to be called ?

they must have been so much fun to be around.

Belle... First let me ask how Moo is doing?

It does not surprise me your dobie died not like after his brother/sister. There hearts are no different than ours, maybe they run even a bit deeper, as they (hopefully) only have known unconditional love. I think that is why I always have so many dogs. If one should pass, there will always be two or three to make the transition easier for all of us. Not that there is not pain, but there is always another dog to cuddle up with for both them and me.

And YES, finding names is the best part. They usually have three or four names during the span of a few days, till the right one suits them. Samson our dog -- Started out as Moses and ended up (after three or four names) with Samson.

Do you have any dogs now?

Julie

InfiniteFemme
01-03-2009, 04:23 AM
So apparently I have this really cool chest cold that has me curling up into a ball at night with hacking coughs. I discovered last night just how much it upsets Laurie my rat. She was jumping from level to level trying to check on me and climbing all over the inside all night long. She would settle down until I started coughing again. A part of me wonders if I should sleep in the living room so she doesn't get so upset. Funny thing is my cat could care less that I'm sick right now but the rat is all worried about me. Gotta love these sweet creatures.
(k)Cyb

Cybyl - WOW... It does not surprise me Laurie was so distressed over your cough. These little babies are so intuitive.

Be careful while you are sick, to not get close or touch Laurie - these little babies can easily catch our colds, and we can catch theirs. I had a really bad cold once -- and within three days after my cold, a number of my Rats came down with chest colds. My vet told me to not handle during illness (any type).

Julie

cybersuebee
01-03-2009, 04:56 AM
[quote=909 Pervertions;3027260]

It does not surprise me your dobie died not like after his brother/sister. There hearts are no different than ours, maybe they run even a bit deeper, as they (hopefully) only have known unconditional love. I think that is why I always have so many dogs. If one should pass, there will always be two or three to make the transition easier for all of us. Not that there is not pain, but there is always another dog to cuddle up with for both them and me.

In the past two years I've added two Golden Retrievers to my pack. I think part of it was my two Aussies are getting older, and I couldn't stand the idea of losing both and having to "replace" them (though we know we can never do that!)

When I get upset, and especailly if I cry, it upsets my dogs terribly. One constantly fetches me "gifts", another paces the floor, and a third nuzzles up to me. Okay, she nuzzles constantly, but this is different. The fourth just lies down in a corner and watches me with his big brown eyes.

I especially have to be attentive if one of my birds lose it's mate. Especially the finches. It's gotten to the point where I'm just pleasantly surprised if a finch lives when his/her mate has passed. Oftentimes they pass within hours of each other, even if the second one wasn't sick or injured.

And YES, finding names is the best part. They usually have three or four names during the span of a few days, till the right one suits them. Samson our dog -- Started out as Moses and ended up (after three or four names) with Samson.
Julie

When I got my youngest dog I wanted to name her Violet, after my grandmother. My father got all pissy about it. I would have thought it to be a complement - I don't have any children, so couldn't pass the name along to them. (I think it was just his way of saying he didn't think I should have another dog - as if he had any say in the matter) Anyway, I settled on Lucy, because she's a redhead, and makes me think of Lucille Ball. She's pretty goofy too, and is soooooo not a Violet. In fact, she often gets called "Lucifer". All tongue-in-cheek, of course. I loves my goofy-Lucy. Even if she frustrates me every ten minutes. Do Goldens ever grow up?

909 Pervertions
01-04-2009, 08:10 AM
hallo everyone !

cybil - how are you feeling of late, please ? i hope your coughing has subsided, and your health is steadily improving !

moo.moo is doing so great - his family love him so much, and i believe, as with people, a huge difference it makes with recovery time ! stardust leaves his sutures alone- only one time after moo was put back with star, was there a bit of curiosity over the shaved and sutured moo-pig !

they beat me this morning into the kitchen waiting for romaine ! i found a Groovy Girls tent at goodwill for a few bucks, and they nap for a while in the dining room inside the tent after running all over the place. guinea pigs are VERY active [freewheelers!], though they tire afterwards pretty quickly.

i'm going to clean their room in a moment, just wanted to see how you all are this afternoon ? how are the other pets too, please ? julie, i do not live with any other pets right now. if i were in the country again, i'd love a dobie with ears and tail - like my shadow - the best dog ever he was ! i'd not try to recreate shadow - i totally love the dobie personality, easy to towel off coat, size, and active nature. they are a smart breed, and sensitive as can be !

cats are great too - i love all animals ! star and moo are a handful- and keep me on my toes !

wishing you all a gentle week !

hugs!

belle
x

[[[ you all ]]]]

Cybil Rose
01-04-2009, 12:06 PM
I hope everyone and their wonderful little family members are doing well. I finally found some medicine that works wonderfully. Laurie was so much more relaxed last night. Now only if it wasn't snowing I'd go and get the daytime version of this medicine so I can go through the day with out felling the need to sleep.
(k)Cyb

Lady_Wu
01-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Ni hao? I'm so glad the moo-pig is doing well! And that stardust is leaving his sutures alone! I've had too many times when one (or more) of my piggies would decide that sutures were something that sis NOT belong there on a piggie and star chewing. It is such a hard habbit to break! About the only thing you can do is put something bitter on it that the piggies don't like. I kept a mixture of heated ground-up sweethearts for that purpose. Sounds weird but it was cheap and it worked!
A week filled with love and compassion to all beings!
Shanti,
Lady Wu

909 Pervertions
01-05-2009, 06:43 PM
lady wu, you are very sweet !

i thought some of you might enjoy this page - the main page has a variety of gorgeous stuff !!

http://www.cafepress.com/albinocrow/1943496

catony
01-05-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm sure many of you have seen/heard of dog agility, but how about mouse agility? This is a very cute video of a mouse running a mouse-sized agility course.

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/325631/cf116dd8/richt_eens_een_muis_af.h_

Since I'm still in the dark ages on dial up I couldn't wait for the whole thing to finish-darn, I'll have to go back later.

A while back there was a web site with a rabbit doing agility too. If I can find the link I'll post it.

butchgorilla
01-06-2009, 08:10 AM
I had a guinea pig as a kid who's name was nutmeg - apparently a very good guinea pig name!

i had a guinea pig for years as a kid, her name was nutmeg. she lived for a very long time, 7 years.

i still walk into pet stores and think "hmm, maybe one day again"

Over the years I've had several cavies, several hamsters, several mice, and a rabbit. Right at this exact moment I don't have any, but just talked to my girlfriend, and she's getting me a guinea pig for my birthday - totally psyched!!!!!

-Kayden

909 Pervertions
01-06-2009, 11:53 AM
quick hallo to catony and butch gorilla !!

mouse agility- how cute !! i think prey animals are pretty good at remembering their way to/from places ! one pig- stardust, the abys is not quite as agile- as moo [tortie and white] - who seems more coordinated.

i wanted to post some info again [and i probably will later on because it's for the love of small animals/pigs !] -

building your own pen = exercise, living space, easy to clean if you put down a heavy table cloth or shower curtain - simple to expand, move, take apart, et c:

http://www.guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm

*please be mindful of removing extra tags and/or plastic pieces on shower curtain, sharp pieces on cube connecting pieces, et c.

cavy cuisie for adults over six months of age. cavy performance for youngsters and pregnant sows
all kinds of grass [main diet for a guinea pig]

[oxbow has high quality food for other small animals too!!]-

http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/

*has page for grants/ winners !

i buy cavy cuisine for big pigs/adults in town - call round to see if your local independent pet supply stores/fam stores carry it !

take care everyone-

happy early birthday to you, butch gorilla !

belle
x

909 Pervertions
01-06-2009, 12:01 PM
PS !

General Guinea Pig Information
A lack of Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is the most common nutritional deficiency in guinea pigs. Oxbow’s Daily C tablets provide a reliable way to prevent disease and lengthen the life of your pet.

Your guinea pig might show his happiness by performing a “popcorn” —bouncing and moving quickly and repeatedly.

*i buy the vitamin c from oxbow as well- and the boys BEG every morning for their tablet !!

when i worked for a vet hospital, the saddest thing to see was a gp unable to move with scurvy [VERY painful!!] - due to lack of vitamin c !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scurvy

the bottles of vitamins and minerals should not be used for guinea pigs-

909 Pervertions
01-07-2009, 07:35 PM
exotics in books and film - have any of you ever thought of writing a book or screenplay based on the antics of your little ones ?

Mice have enjoyed a great ride in the movies. The animated variety first rose to prominence thanks to Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse in the late 20s, enjoyed a rebirth as heroes in the late 70s and 80s with The Rescuers, The Secret of NIMH, The Great Mouse Detective, and An American Tail, and overflowed into live-action territory a few years later with Stuart Little. More recently, Flushed Away was a superior entertainment about a spoiled upper-class mouse who must learn to survive in the wild and wooly sewers, while the superb Ratatouille gave a rat a rare favorable turn in the spotlight as a culinary artist.

Adapted by Gary Ross (Pleasantville, Dave) from the award-winning book by Kate DiCamillo, The Tale of Despereaux features both a rat and a mouse in leading roles, but the self-described fairy tale is much more than a slapdash character study of two rodents. The setup makes it sound like a cousin to both Flushed Away and Ratatouille: a disgraced rat must learn to survive in a dark dungeon, a mouse develops a friendship with a human, and gourmet soup features prominently. Yet as the tale unfolds, it deepens and broadens its themes to a welcome degree. Though it never climbs too far above average and too often embraces the familiar, Despereaux remains a gentle and nurturing children's story, imparting lessons without being too condescending to its audience.

While Despereaux is aimed squarely at the little ones, adults may enjoy the top-notch animation and appreciate the above average performances by a celebrity voice cast (Matthew Broderick, Dustin Hoffman, Emma Watson, Tracey Ullman, Robbie Coltrane, Kevin Kline, William H. Macy, Stanley Tucci) that is well matched to the characters they play, which is a rare pleasure indeed.

http://yournewz.com/similar/7811048/2008/12/22/category=0/source=0/0/The+Executioner's+Tale

909 Pervertions
01-07-2009, 07:41 PM
AVOID these food items for cavies:

AVOID Danger foods:
- Iceburg Lettuce (low nutrition, high water)

- Hot Peppers / Chiles / Paprikas
- Hot herbs and spices
- Pickled veggies (dills, capers, sour krauts)
- Garlic or pungent onions (will not poison pigs, )
- Tomato leaves & stalks (poisonous)
- Tomatillo leaves & stalks (poisonous)
- Rhubarb (poisonous)
- Seeds (choking hazard)
- Dry beans and peas
- Nuts (too high in fat)
- Avocado (too high in fat)
- Coconut (too high in fat)
- Horseradish (leaves probably ok, root too pungent)
- Mushrooms
- Potatos (poisonous if green or sprouted) - sweet patatos / yams are ok
- Taro (dangerous if eaten raw / unprepared)
- Jams, jellies and fruit preserves (too high in sugar)
- Fruit juices (sugar-free, or unsweetened juices are OK)
- Teas, coffee, colas
- Fried, cooked and otherwise prepared foods
- Peanut butter, cakes, cookies, baked goods
- Milk and milk products

- Wild grasses, plants and herbs that you are unsure of, or that look different from ones you know
- Flowers (commercially grown decorative plants contain preservatives & pesticides)

QUESTION foods:
(just don't know much about them, or unsure if ok for pigs to eat)

- Canned veggies

Asian Fruit and Vegetables: (I tried to include names in various languages when possible)

- Abiu / Caimo / Canistel / Dan Huang Guo
- Bamboo Shoots
- Banana Leaves
- Betel Leaves / La Lop
- Bitter Melon / Bitter Gourd / Balsam Pear / Balsam Pod (must remove seeds)
- Chinese Broccoli / Gai Lum / Kai Lan / Kairan
- Chinese Flowering Cabbage / Choy Sum / Sawi Manis / Saishin
- Chinese Cabbage / Wong Baak / Kubis Gna / Hakusai
- Pe-Tsai Cabbage
- Chinese Chard / Bok Choy / Pak Choy / Pak Tsoi / Pechay
- Baby Bok Choy
- Chinese Spinach / Amaranth / Een Choy / In Tsoi / Bayam / Santonsai
- Chinese Mustard / Gai Choy / Kaai Tsoi / Mustaa / Ha Karashina / Cai Xanh
- Chinese Keys / Khao Chae / Suo Shi / Temu Kunchi (like ginger)
- Chinese Long Beans / Yard-Long Beans / Asparagus Beans / Dau Gok
- Chocolate Fruit / Black Persimmon / Black Sapote / Kaki Noir
- Durian / Dourian / Lau Lin
- Ginger Root
- Hairy Melon / Moa Gua
- Jute / Jew's Mallow / Meloukhia / Meloukhiya Sheitaani
- Kaffir Lime Leaves
- Longan / Litchi Ponceau / Loon Ngan / Lengkleng (like Lychee)
- Lychee
- Mangosteen / Saan Jook / Manggis
- Sin Qua / Luffa - smooth and angled
- Soursop / Guanabana
- Star Apple
- Taro / Woo Tau / Dalo / Sato-Imo leaves (leaves ok? raw taro root poisonous )
- Water Spinach / Convolvulus / Ung Choy / Yeung Choy / Kang Kung
- White Radish / Daikon / Loh Baak / Mu
- White Sapote / Casimiroa
- Winter Melon / Wax Melon / Dong Gua
- Yam Bean / Jicama / Di Gwa / Sinkamas / Seng Kuang / Kuzuimo (root ok?, leaves & stems poisonous)
- Yam / Shuyu / Ubi / Yama Imo (this tuber is safe for guinea pigs to eat)

Other Fruit and Vegetables:

- Acerola- West Indian, Pitanga, Surinam, Sour, Sweet
- Babaco
- Borage
- Breadfruit
- Burdock
- Cardoon
- Cassava / Yucca Root
- Catus
- Chayota
- Cherimoya
- Custard apple
- Dock
- Eggplant
- Fern bracken - Fiddlehead Fern shoots
- Ginger
- Jujube (high vit C)
- Kailan
- Kiwano
- Komatsuna
- Kumquat
- Lemon Grass
- Longan
- Loquat
- Mizuna
- Okra
- Opuntia Cactus
- Oregano
- Plantain banana (needs cooking, high starch)
- Pomegranate
- Quince
- Rosemary
- Sage
- Sakata
- Salsify / Oyster plant
- Sapodilla
- Sorrel
- Soy beans and soy products (too high in protein?)
- Star fruit
- Sugar Cane (too high in sugar?)
- Tapioca (too high in starch & calories?)
- Yucca

909 Pervertions
01-07-2009, 07:48 PM
safe food items- in VERY small amounts !!

*orange skin is good for teeth- the fruit may contribute to mouth sores if given too much/often - and is high in sugar .

*3 lbs - gps are wee little souls ! i give bits of apple/orange/etc the size of my pinkie nail ! it's easy to spoil- because gps do beg [smile!] - but loving them to death is what literally to a lot of pigs from bladder issues- too many sweets, et c.

my guys love dandelions - fresh !! i give them the stem, leaves, and flower - just one / once in a while .

Safe Foods

Unlimited hay. Unlimited pellets.

HIGH Vitamin C foods:
- Guinea pig pellets with stabilized vitamin C - alfalfa based for youngsters, pregnant & nursing sows, slim or sick pigs; timothy based for healthy, grown, chubby pigs (do not substitute rabbit or chinchilla pellets; avoid mixes with nuts, seeds or colored bits)

- Parsley - curly or plain (high in calcium)
- Cilantro / Chinese Parsley / Corriander greens
- Celery leaves

- Collard greens
- Mustard greens / Leaf Mustard
- Water Cress
- Garden Cress
- Swiss Chard, Red Chard
- Beet greens
- Spinach (feed in moderation, linked to formation of kidney & bladder stones)
- Carrot tops / leaves
- Peas in pods, Pea Shoots (not dried)

- Dandelion greens
- Grass - wheat, winter rye (grown in pots from seed)

- Kale - curly or plain
- Broccoli, Broccolini (stems are liked better than flowers)
- Broccoli Rabe / Rabe / Rapini
- Cauliflower / Broccoflower
- Brussels Sprouts
- Cabbage
- Red Cabbage
- Tuscan Cabbage / Cavolo Nero
- Savoy Cabbage
- Kohlrabi leaves

- Bell / Sweet Peppers - red, green, yellow (not hot or chile)
- Tomato (sores around mouth can develop; leaves poisonous; artificially grown can be low in vit C)
- Tamarillo (leaves poisonous)

- Orange (caution - sores around lips can develop)
- Tangerine / Mandarin (caution - sores around lips can develop)
- Grapefruit (caution - sores around lips can develop)
- Lemon, Lime (home-grown best, otherwise feed cautiously)
- Cantaloupe Melon
- Honeydew Melon
- Currants - yellow, red or black (leaves also edible)
- Gooseberries
- Strawberries
- Kiwi Fruit
- Mango
- Guava
- Feijoa / Pineapple Guava
- Papaya / Paw Paw / Tree Melon
- Persimmon - american or oriental
- Rosehip

LOW Vitamin C foods:
- Hay - timothy, meadow, alpine and others (must always be available)
- Alfalfa - green or dried (high calcium & calories - good for youngsters, pregnant & nursing sows)

- Romaine Lettuce
- Lettuces - red, green, butter, Boston and other (avoid iceberg)
- Frisee Lettuce
- Arugula / Rocket / Roquette / Rucola
- Green Endive
- Belgian Endive
- Radicchio / Italian Chicory
- Treviso Radicchio
- Salad mix (without iceburg lettuce)
- Artichoke
- Asparagus
- Anise
- Basil
- Dill
- Mint
- Thyme
- Chives (caution, feed in moderation)
- Green Onion tops (caution, feed in moderation)
- Green Leek tops (caution, feed in moderation)
- Sweet Onions (caution, feed in moderation)
- Celery stalks (cut into small pieces)
- Corn on the cob (strings, leaves & stalks are edible too)
- Bean Sprouts
- Green Beans in pods / String Beans (not dried)

- Carrots (feed in moderation, vit A in carrots said to cause liver problems)
- Yam / Sweet Potato (high in vit A? - leaves edible)
- Beets
- Celery Root / Celeriac
- Kohlrabi bulbs
- Radishes (if mild)
- Turnip
- Parsnip
- Rutabaga (aka Swede)
- Parsley root

- Cucumber (fresh only, not pickled)
- Squash - acorn, banana, butterhorn, spagetti, and others (feed in moderation)
- Zucchini
- Pumpkin

- Pineapple - fresh (sores around lips & mouth can develop)
- Apple (avoid seeds; if too tart, sores around lips & mouth can develop)
- Crabapple
- Pear
- Asian Pear
- Plum, Prune (dried high in sugar - as treat only)
- Nectarine
- Apricot
- Peach
- Cherries (remove pits)
- Cranberries (whole fruit, not concentrate or juice)
- Raspberries
- Blackberries
- Bilberries
- Blueberries
- Watermelon (can cause diarrhea - high water content)
- Banana (feed in great moderation - can cause constipation)
- Passion Fruit / Granadilla
- Grapes (in moderation, high in sugar)
- Figs (dried high in sugar - as treat only)
- Dates (dried high in sugar)

EDIBLE wild grasses, dandelions, plants and herbs:
(make sure you know what you are picking! be sure to pick from places free of contaminants such as pesticides , exhaust fumes or animal urine ; pick plants that are healthy looking, without insect damage, fungus spots, breakage, or wilting)

- Grass (common grasses are edible, avoid ornamental grasses)
- Clover (Trifollium repens or Trifolium pratense)
- Dandelion (Teraxacum officinale) - pick leaves, stems, flowers (even root OK)

- Anise (Pimpinella anisum)
- Blackberry leaves (Rubus plicatus) - pick young & tender leaves and shoots
- Calendula (Calendula officinalis) - leaves and flowers
- Caraway (Carum carvi)
- Chamomile (Anthemis nobilis)
- Chickweed (Stellaria media)
- Cleavers / Stickyweed / Goosegrass / Bedstraw (Galium aparine)
- Coriander (Coriandrum sativum)
- Cowberry (Vaccinium vitis-idaeae) - berries, leaves in moderation
- Cow Parsley (Anthiscus sylvestris)
- Dog Rose (Rosa canina) - ripe fruits
- Duckweed (Lemna minor) - aquatic
- Fennel (Foeniculum capillaceum)
- Field Violet / Wild Pansy (Viola tricolor)
- Groundsel (Senecio vulgaris)
- Lemon Mint / Melissa (Melissa officinalis)
- Linden / Lime Tree (Tilia cordata or Tilia platyphyllos) - flowers with pale yellow leaflets
- Miner's Lettuce (Claytonia perfoliata)
- Pepermint (Mentha piperita)
- Plantain (Plantago major or Plantago lanceolata)
- Raspberry leaves (Rubus idaeus) - pick young & tender leaves and shoots
- Stinging Nettle (Urtica dioica)
- Shepherd's Purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris)
- Silverweed (Potentilla anserina)
- Vetch (Vicia x)
- Yarrow (Achllea millefolium)
- Whortleberry / Heidelberry (Vaccinium myrtillus) - berries, leaves in moderation
- Wild Chamomile (Matricaria chammomilla)
- Wild Strawberry (Fragaria vesca) - berries and leaves

InfiniteFemme
01-08-2009, 04:44 AM
exotics in books and film - have any of you ever thought of writing a book or screenplay based on the antics of your little ones ?

Belle... When Jacob (my eldest was younger) I wrote a book for him "Jacob's Rainbow," based on a question he had - "why the color black was not in the rainbow," he was four. It involved his travels with Spunky (our rat) and Rodger (our dog) to find the color black in the rainbow. And then I started a short story called "Spunky's Tails" It was a story to empower and demystify the fear of Rats. I never did finish it. My book for Jacob never got published either - sigh.

Julie

MasterJaye
01-08-2009, 06:05 AM
Well, Ive had a Ball Python named Harley Navajo Davidson
A Tarantula named Rosie and
A Rat named Kokaine

The only "sort of exotic" I have now is my African Grey... Dr. Pepper, but he was bred here in the States. The only thing wild about him is his cursing. :o

and BTW catony...that video was hilarious! Thanks for sharing!

cybersuebee
01-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Okay, this is not about exotics, but since I'm a regular on this thread, I just have to brag. I'm fostering four, three-week old persian kitties. Why did goddess make these little critters so darned cute?

Someone please remind me that I already have enough dependant life forms in this house if I talk about keeping one - okay, it's never just one! ;)

butchgorilla
01-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Hey Cybersuebee -

You already have enough dependent life forms in your house!!!!!! Just say NO!!!!!

Okay, this is not about exotics, but since I'm a regular on this thread, I just have to brag. I'm fostering four, three-week old persian kitties. Why did goddess make these little critters so darned cute?

Someone please remind me that I already have enough dependant life forms in this house if I talk about keeping one - okay, it's never just one! ;)

RiverSong
01-12-2009, 01:16 PM

What? Persian anything isn't exotic?? Wow. And here I had visions of sweet little kitties wearing a beaded veil and dancing slowly. (What color are they?) (No, I am not offering to take one. LOL) Or more either.

Really, they *are* darling, aren't they??
(8)

cybersuebee
01-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Hey Cybersuebee -

You already have enough dependent life forms in your house!!!!!! Just say NO!!!!!

But they're just little tiny kitties...and did I mention that they go (8) "purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" (8)

What? Persian anything isn't exotic?? Wow. And here I had visions of sweet little kitties wearing a beaded veil and dancing slowly. (What color are they?) (No, I am not offering to take one. LOL) Or more either.

Really, they *are* darling, aren't they??
(8)

Just a sec - I'll check the cage for dancing outfits........nope - they must be too young yet. Oh yeah - two of them are boy putties. Errrrr - I mean butch *duh! where did I think I was?*

Two are black - one being a tuxedo kitty, and two are grey - or "blue" as we say in putty-speak. One of those is tuxedo as well. They are actually a mix of persian and himilayan. There are four more being fostered by someone else. The owner came home one day and the mommy kitty was dead. They don't know why. Sad - huh?

cybersuebee
01-12-2009, 01:42 PM
TOTALLY unrelated posting......if one were to adopt two....uhhhh.....rats (yeah, that's it - rats!) ...what would one call them? (a)

909 Pervertions
01-12-2009, 02:00 PM
i agree with river song ! they are darling ! feel free to post about any animal here- this thread belongs to everyone- and i'm fortunate to have tons of space in my heart for all kinds of sweet animals !

i hope you are doing well cybersuebee ! enjoy the babies, and please give them a hug from auntie belle?

x

RiverSong
01-12-2009, 03:47 PM
The owner came home one day and the mommy kitty was dead. They don't know why. Sad - huh?

Awww that's so sad. But birthing seven kitties and then feeding them and all... depending on the age of the Mom cat, it just might have been too much for her. Maybe a heart attack. I lost a cat once to a heart attack and it wass only young.

They sound absolutely adorable and I am sure you will find great homes for them.
(8) Have we derailed the thread yet? No of course not, cuz Persian/Himmy kitties are pretty exotic

cybersuebee
01-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Just finished feeding. Little tiny kitties. Little tiny mews. Little tiny blue eyes. Little tiny purrrrrs. But, great big BURPS! :D

I'm just glad I don't have all eight of them!

Cybil Rose
01-12-2009, 05:27 PM
TOTALLY unrelated posting......if one were to adopt two....uhhhh.....rats (yeah, that's it - rats!) ...what would one call them? (a)

I named mine Laurie (favorite name for a girl and favorite actress) and Beretta( favorite kind of gun. Strange I know for a rat name. but it stuck) sadly Beretta didn't get a long with her sister and I had to adopt her out. I miss her a lot.
(k)Cyb

909 Pervertions
01-12-2009, 09:25 PM
picking out names is the best !!

butchgorilla
01-13-2009, 07:09 AM
I've already decided that my guinea pig is going to be named "Id" - I'm a psychologist, it's a reference to Freud (you remember, he talked about the id, ego, and superego), and I think it's a cool name!!!! ;)

-Kayden

picking out names is the best !!

Katanaboi
01-13-2009, 09:16 AM
cool thread (y)

~Katana~

Cybil Rose
01-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Hello to all the exotics and their wonderful owners. Thankfully I'm starting to feel much better and Laurie has calmed down a lot. She scared the crap out of me yesterday though. I had plastic window cling taped to the wall behind her cage just in case when I got a rat it spayed like my bunny did. Any way she'd been tearing pieces off of it and nesting in the cage with them. I didn't think to take the whole thing down I just keep moving the cage away from the wall.. Well yesterday morning when I woke up the whole freaking thing of plastic was in her cage. I thought she suffocated her self. So I quickly removed it and tossed it in the trash. She was up set with me because I think she's been getting cold and nesting with it to keep herself warm. Now I have to find a way to make her a little hideout to keep her warm.
(k)Cyb

Katanaboi
01-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Hello to all the exotics and their wonderful owners. Thankfully I'm starting to feel much better and Laurie has calmed down a lot. She scared the crap out of me yesterday though. I had plastic window cling taped to the wall behind her cage just in case when I got a rat it spayed like my bunny did. Any way she'd been tearing pieces off of it and nesting in the cage with them. I didn't think to take the whole thing down I just keep moving the cage away from the wall.. Well yesterday morning when I woke up the whole freaking thing of plastic was in her cage. I thought she suffocated her self. So I quickly removed it and tossed it in the trash. She was up set with me because I think she's been getting cold and nesting with it to keep herself warm. Now I have to find a way to make her a little hideout to keep her warm.
(k)Cyb

I'm glad she is okay...Hopefully you can find something more rat-safe for her bedding.

~Katana~

909 Pervertions
01-13-2009, 10:33 AM
dear cybilrose,

i am happy to read that you are feeling better !

can a rat go inside of a small tote bag for warmth ? do they ingest the carefresh bedding ? i hope you are able to keep her warm with some rat-safe materials ! the pigs do *sample* their bedding- carefresh- but not very much. they like to rip newspaper - if they make loud sounds is cool, if hooman makes a sound sometimes not cool [smile]. can you put a small cardboard box upside down with a hole cut out for her- or is that not a good idea for your baby ? the pigs chew cardboard which helps their incisors, and i make them adobes all the time !

now i must do some research on rat bedding !

best,
belle
x

909 Pervertions
01-13-2009, 10:34 AM
http://ratguide.com/care/environment/cage_bedding_litter.php

shredded paper works too !

Rat Bedding
Wood chips should never be used for rat bedding. All woodchips contain oils that are inhaled and cause damage to the rat’s sensitive respiratory system. Contrary to what many misinformed pet store employees and websites may say, there is no “safe” woodchip bedding available for rats. Pine, cedar and all other types of woodchips are dangerous and deadly to rats.

There are two types of bedding that are considered safe for rats: paper-based bedding and fabric bedding. CareFresh and other similar paper-based bedding products are safe for rats and convenient for humans, who can throw away soiled sections of bedding daily, with a full cage bedding changed required twice weekly. The main drawback to CareFresh is that it tends to be rather expensive over time.

A less expensive bedding option involves fabric. Use T-shirts, old sheets, pillowcases, and old soft clothing items as rat cage bedding. Avoid fabrics with a loose weave and avoid towels that have a loop weave, as these fabrics tend to snag rat toes and nails.

Using fabric bedding for rats is far less expensive than CareFresh bedding, but the one drawback is that fabric bedding must be laundered. On an average week, two rats will create about 1/3 to 1/2 of a load of laundry.

Whether a rat owner opts for a paper-based bedding or a fabric bedding option, it is vital to change the bedding daily. Rat urine contains ammonia that will accumulate and place strain on the rat’s respiratory system, causing illness, discomfort and premature death in rats.

Cybil Rose
01-13-2009, 10:45 AM
http://ratguide.com/care/environment/cage_bedding_litter.php

shredded paper works too !

Rat Bedding
Wood chips should never be used for rat bedding. All woodchips contain oils that are inhaled and cause damage to the rat’s sensitive respiratory system. Contrary to what many misinformed pet store employees and websites may say, there is no “safe” woodchip bedding available for rats. Pine, cedar and all other types of woodchips are dangerous and deadly to rats.

There are two types of bedding that are considered safe for rats: paper-based bedding and fabric bedding. CareFresh and other similar paper-based bedding products are safe for rats and convenient for humans, who can throw away soiled sections of bedding daily, with a full cage bedding changed required twice weekly. The main drawback to CareFresh is that it tends to be rather expensive over time.

A less expensive bedding option involves fabric. Use T-shirts, old sheets, pillowcases, and old soft clothing items as rat cage bedding. Avoid fabrics with a loose weave and avoid towels that have a loop weave, as these fabrics tend to snag rat toes and nails.

Using fabric bedding for rats is far less expensive than CareFresh bedding, but the one drawback is that fabric bedding must be laundered. On an average week, two rats will create about 1/3 to 1/2 of a load of laundry.

Whether a rat owner opts for a paper-based bedding or a fabric bedding option, it is vital to change the bedding daily. Rat urine contains ammonia that will accumulate and place strain on the rat’s respiratory system, causing illness, discomfort and premature death in rats.

Thanks for the information it's very helpful. I was thinking an old tissue box would work well and then I'm thinking about what kind of soft thing to use to keep her warm. I don't like wooded bedding for rats. I have one that she likes a lot that seems to be really safe. I don't remember the exact name of it but its good. I try to give her wooden chewies for her teeth but the silly girl won't chew on them and I'm worried about her teeth. I know they grow a lot and I just have to keep trying to get her to use them.
~Cyb

Cybil Rose
01-13-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm glad she is okay...Hopefully you can find something more rat-safe for her bedding.

~Katana~

I'm thinking about news papers I think she'd like ripping it apart. It'll be a little annoying of course when she does that and I'm trying to sleep but I want her to be happy. I think she's lonely since I had to adopt her sister out. Even though she was the one being bullied.
(k)Cyb

Katanaboi
01-13-2009, 11:02 AM
A few days ago I adopted a european green toad...He's my second frog son (my first one passed away some years ago)....I haven't named him yet, because I want it to be something special that fits his personality....He is a little shy & still getting used to me...He likes to hide underneath his Tropical plant that I got him the other day...
My girls (2 cats) are curious about him of course but mostly leaving him alone...My cats are currently too distracted by the squirrels who come over for breakfast to pay much attention to their new frog brother...So far things are going well, he finally ate for me yesterday...I'm hoping to find just the right diet to make him healthy & happy..
Once he gets adjusted to his new home, I'll be taking pics of him to share with everyone :)

~Katana~

catony
01-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Yes, an empty tissue box is an excellent sleeping house for a rat. Be sure to tear any plastic off of it first. It will get dirty, and they will eventually rip it up, but no problem getting them a new one. I found that tissues and paper towels make good cheap bedding. Give them lots and lots of it, so they can get covered up if they want.

Cybil Rose
01-13-2009, 11:11 AM
A few days ago I adopted a european green toad...He's my second frog son (my first one passed away some years ago)....I haven't named him yet, because I want it to be something special that fits his personality....He is a little shy & still getting used to me...He likes to hide underneath his Tropical plant that I got him the other day...
My girls (2 cats) are curious about him of course but mostly leaving him alone...My cats are currently too distracted by the squirrels who come over for breakfast to pay much attention to their new frog brother...So far things are going well, he finally ate for me yesterday...I'm hoping to find just the right diet to make him healthy & happy..
Once he gets adjusted to his new home, I'll be taking pics of him to share with everyone :)

~Katana~

This is so exciting. I can't wait to hear what you name him. It'll be nice to see some pics to.
(k)Cyb

Cybil Rose
01-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Wondering now if newspapers will be a bad thing to give to a white rat. Would the ink on the paper affect her in any way?
(k)Cyb

909 Pervertions
01-14-2009, 06:38 AM
[QUOTE=Katanaboi;3036359]

~Katana~

;) congratulations, katanaboi (*) i cannot wait to see photos of the little european green toad ! how is he doing today ? pretty soon, when he hears the sound of your voice, he'll hop right out to meet you [smile].

cybil - how is laurie today ? i love that ripping sound ! any time- and their chewing on cardboard ! ;)

catony - i use newspapers for the pigs underneath their cabanas [plant stands they sleep under or hop onto the low flat level - and i cover with a piece of material so they can hide/have space]. i also line their cat[pig] boxes with layers of folded papers [from the market = senior times or bingo bugle-ha!], then put carefresh over that. the boys seem fine with papers - i think the ink is soy based. i don't know however, if a rat would have any kind of allergic reaction to ink ?

best,

belle

Cybil Rose
01-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Laurie is doing just fine today. I gave her a house yesterday and she doesn't know what to do with it. She drug it out of the corner I set it in and started throwing it around. It's a tissue box. I also placed a paper towel in it for her folded very nicely I might add. The silly girl took the paper towel out of her house and as of yet didn't rip it up but made a nice nest in her corner. Don't know if she'll use the house but I'll leave it in there just in case.
(k)Cyb

909 Pervertions
01-19-2009, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=Cybil Rose;3037192]Laurie is doing just fine today. I gave her a house yesterday and she doesn't know what to do with it. She drug it out of the corner I set it in and started throwing it around. It's a tissue box. I also placed a paper towel in it for her folded very nicely I might add. The silly girl took the paper towel out of her house and as of yet didn't rip it up but made a nice nest in her corner. Don't know if she'll use the house but I'll leave it in there just in case.
(k)Cyb

:) how is laurie enjoying her house ? (f)

Cybil Rose
01-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Laurie didn't like the tissue box so I went out and bought her a rat sized igloo. Exactly like the one she was sleeping in the day I bought her. Silly girl is kind of afraid of it. She doesn't know she can sleep in it yet. I moved it out of her corner that she sleeps in and placed it in another corner, Because she decided that since a house was in her sleeping spot she'd sleep on the top level of her cage. And just yesterday she figured out she can move around in her exercise ball that I place her in to clean her cage. She'll get the hang of the house soon I hope.
(k)Cyb

cybersuebee
01-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Laurie didn't like the tissue box so I went out and bought her a rat sized igloo. Exactly like the one she was sleeping in the day I bought her. Silly girl is kind of afraid of it. She doesn't know she can sleep in it yet. I moved it out of her corner that she sleeps in and placed it in another corner, Because she decided that since a house was in her sleeping spot she'd sleep on the top level of her cage. And just yesterday she figured out she can move around in her exercise ball that I place her in to clean her cage. She'll get the hang of the house soon I hope.
(k)Cyb

Try putting a couple of her fav treats outside the entry to the igloo and a couple inside. That often works. (would for me anyway! ) :)

In baby persian news: Them little kitties are twice the size they were a week ago when they arrived here. Since Friday they have learned to sit, wash themselves and focus their eyes. Today, they were playing like real kitties - except it's sometimes hard for them to get up off their backs, because their bellies are so big and round. One of my adult persians is indifferent to them, the other recoils from them. My dogs - the two females think they're cute, one of my male dogs likes to keep an eye on them, and the other male dog has made it his personal mission in life to see that they want for nothing! One big happy family, we are! :)

Katanaboi
01-19-2009, 09:42 PM
;) congratulations, katanaboi (*) i cannot wait to see photos of the little european green toad ! how is he doing today ? pretty soon, when he hears the sound of your voice, he'll hop right out to meet you [smile].

best,

belle

Thank you....My new frog-son finally has a name "Jordan"....I took him to the vet today for a check-up....He has a bacteria stomach infection, and was given antibiotics for it...So he should start to feel better soon....I finally got a few photos of him, he's still very camera shy...Although his photos have been posted on myspace...So if you'd like to see him, I can send you the link there..Things are improving, he's getting used to me & his new home :)

~Katana~

cybersuebee
01-20-2009, 06:31 AM
By request: The two persian kitties I've decided I would keep - if I decide to keep any - A solid blue one - a little boy - I'd name Dandy, and a solid black one - a little girl - I'd name Sweet Bee! :) Whaddaya think? Vanity?

There's a black boy with white paws and mask - I call him Fozzie Bear beacause his ears flap when he sucks on the bottle. There's also a blue girl with white paws and mask. Haven't come up with a name for her. How about Belle? She's awful pretty and a little sweetheart!

So here's my dilema: I might be going away for the weekend. Should I think about taking the kitties with me, or leave them with my neighbour? She and her daughter will take spectacular care of them, but they are so enamoured with them that they play with them all the time. They don't let them sleep! How should I handle this? I have a tendancy towards being overprotective of my critters - I know this, but they need to sleep!

Four weeks old, and already little characters - each and every one of them!

RiverSong
01-20-2009, 03:02 PM
[quote=cybersuebee;3041407]By request: The two persian kitties I've decided I would keep - if I decide to keep any - A solid blue one - a little boy - I'd name Dandy, and a solid black one - a little girl - I'd name Sweet Bee! :) Whaddaya think? Vanity?

Might be a little confusing if there is someone else in the house with the same name...;)

There's a black boy with white paws and mask - I call him Fozzie Bear beacause his ears flap when he sucks on the bottle. There's also a blue girl with white paws and mask. Haven't come up with a name for her. How about Belle? She's awful pretty and a little sweetheart!

Whenever I adopt a new pet, I always enjoy naming him or her with my own choice of name. I have never had any trouble getting them to learn their new name, and for me it has been a sort of bonding process.

So here's my dilema: I might be going away for the weekend. Should I think about taking the kitties with me, or leave them with my neighbour? She and her daughter will take spectacular care of them, but they are so enamoured with them that they play with them all the time. They don't let them sleep! How should I handle this? I have a tendancy towards being overprotective of my critters - I know this, but they need to sleep!

If it were me, I would leave them with the wonderful neighbors. Have you inquired about crossing the border either way with live animals? Might be a problem, and it might be better to leave them with neighbors than having them seized (and who knows what would be done with them?) at the border. That has been known to happen, quarantine, etc. As for sleep, they will catch up. Nature has a way of taking care of things.

Just my devalued two Canadian cents worth!

RS (8) - who is a pet lover too.

cybersuebee
01-20-2009, 03:09 PM
[quote=RiverSong;3041753][quote=cybersuebee;3041407]By request: The two persian kitties I've decided I would keep - if I decide to keep any - A solid blue one - a little boy - I'd name Dandy, and a solid black one - a little girl - I'd name Sweet Bee! :) Whaddaya think? Vanity?

Might be a little confusing if there is someone else in the house with the same name...;)

If it were me, I would leave them with the wonderful neighbors. Have you inquired about crossing the border either way with live animals? Might be a problem, and it might be better to leave them with neighbors than having them seized (and who knows what would be done with them?) at the border. That has been known to happen, quarantine, etc. As for sleep, they will catch up. Nature has a way of taking care of things.

Crossing the border isn't a problem. For adult dogs and cats they have to have their rabies vaccinations. But under a certain age, no problem. But I decided that it was just stupid to be travelling in the dead of winter with babies.

So, this afternoon I went to get some more formula for them, and the friend that I'm fostering them for (she's the shelter manager) told me that the two that the owner already had homes for were the exact two I'd picked out. Damn! I asked her to talk to the owner about this. But maybe this is just the Universe's way of telling me that I'm not supposed to have these kitties. :s

Perkitty
01-20-2009, 05:57 PM
I used to have pet white mice and let them crawl all over me until one pee'd in my mouth! :(
I also used to have a guinea pig but it reminded me to much of a rat and I couldn't stand to be around it and it would freak me out so I had to get rid of it.

cybersuebee
01-20-2009, 06:01 PM
I used to have pet white mice and let them crawl all over me until one pee'd in my mouth! :(
I also used to have a guinea pig but it reminded me to much of a rat and I couldn't stand to be around it and it would freak me out so I had to get rid of it.

Shhhh! Ix-nay on the guinea-pig-ayyy! (and the rat too while yer at it! Many, many rat and guinea pig lovers on this thread! )

909 Pervertions
01-21-2009, 06:28 AM
[QUOTE=cybersuebee;3041965]Shhhh! Ix-nay on the guinea-pig-ayyy! (and the rat too while yer at it! Many, many rat and guinea pig lovers on this thread! )

;)

(w)(w)(w)(w)(w) ====> (f)

cybersuebee
01-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Little tiny kitties! Love to cuddle and purr after they finsh nursing! (but then again, so do I!) :|

cybersuebee
01-21-2009, 07:18 AM
I imagine most of you have read this before, but it's worth repeating. I found it on a CBC news online story about a dog who alerted it's family about a fire in the house, saving their lives, and losing it's own in the process. Here's a link to the story, and below, the story of the Rainbow Bridge: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2009/01/19/nb-dog-dies-fire.html

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

butchgorilla
01-22-2009, 08:06 AM
I can not read this poem without crying. I'm not a big cryer, I don't tend to cry doing sad movies or movies that have some happy wonderful moment...unless it involves an animal. Animals dying, or being saved, or being reunited with their animals - yeah, those put me in tears. And as many times as I have read this poem, it still gets me every time. Love to my Gretchen, who passed over the bridge almost 5 years ago, but I know she's waiting for me on the other side.

-Kayden

[I]Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Cybil Rose
01-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Laurie finally figured out her rat igloo is to sleep in. She was making a lot of noise last night when I was trying to sleep. This morning I woke up and checked on her. For a moment I couldn't find her. It turns out the silly girl physically moved her igloo into her corner and was sleeping in it. Now I just have to get her out of it later today to clean her cage. But if she's moving around in her exercise ball more I'll let her play in it longer then I used to.
(k)Cyb

Cybil Rose
01-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Laurie was conspiring with my best butch friend earlier tonight. This was the first time we talked with hym viewing my webcam. So I took Laurie out of her cage to show off her cute face. It's been getting cold so I was wearing a button down long sleeve flannel shirt. Laurie decided to escape my hands and crawl up the sleeve of the shirt. I thought for sure I would have to remove it completely to get her safely out of the sleeve. Thanking god I was able to turn her around without removing my shirt. When my friend found this out hy just started laughing at me. *Note to Self next time I have Laurie on web cam make sure my sleeves are pushed up so she can't crawl up them.
(k)Cyb

909 Pervertions
01-29-2009, 06:16 PM
how are the kittens, toad, rats, birds, and you all ?

musicfemme
01-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Do bunnies count as exotics? :D

909 Pervertions
01-29-2009, 06:45 PM
yay ! vinnie xo and his lovely hooman !

what has vinnie been up to ?

musicfemme
01-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Vinnie is my angel. And a huge pain in my ass. He's happy and healthy, though. Likes to try and sit on my laptop while I type. And he has taken to sleeping on my pillow next to my head lately. I've been through a rough time, and I think he knows that so he's staying close. The constantly licking of the pillow throughout the night, which is much louder than you'd think, leaves something to be desired, though. :|

How are your little ones?

Cybil Rose
01-31-2009, 08:10 PM
I miss my bun bun. He was a dutch bunny with a strange blaze. It wasn't perfect and I could never show him because of it. Some day I think I would like to have another bunny. But my next furry exotic is going to be a chin. But before that I'm thinking of something like a lizard or some kind of frog. I have three betta's in three different tanks and when they go that's when I'll get my frog or lizard. They have had a long life. They've lasted longer then my other bettas have so I don't know just how much longer these beautiful fish will last. I totally love having animals besides the normal cat and dog. I can't wait to get my own place, my own home I mean I plan to have a few animals. Just enough to keep me happy but not too many were I don't have the time and energy to care for them all.
(k)Cyb

Cybil Rose
02-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Laurie is running all over the house now. Don't worry ya all she's in her ball. Thankfully the cat and dog don't bother her. I just keep jumping up every few minutes to go check on her. I think she's getting more comfortable with the ball she's traveling all over the house now instead of just staying in one place. I hope everyone and their wonderful exotics are doing well.
(k)Cyb

Cybil Rose
02-16-2009, 08:00 PM
I hope everyone is doing well and had a fun Valentines day. I gave Laurie extra treats of timothy hay covered in yogurt. And tomorrow before class starts I'll clean her cage for her. I try to keep on a schedule for her.
(k)Cyb

909 Pervertions
02-19-2009, 05:38 PM
i hope all of the wonderful exotics are well, and their hoomans ! xoxo

Cybil Rose
03-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm going to be a new Mommy soon. Earliest would be next week, latest in about 3 weeks. I'm hoping to get an albino pacman frog. Here's a link. Hope it works.
http://www.reptilesncritters.com/images/thumbs/albino-pacman-frog-thumb.jpg
I'm still thinking on the perfect name.
(k)Cyb

Cybil Rose
03-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Last night I welcomed home my new pet Albino Pacman Frog. I named her Squishy Rosalie. But I call her rose most of the time. So far she hasn't eaten anything but that's ok sometimes it can take them a long while to get used to their new home before they eat anything. So that makes up a total of 7 pets but only two are exotics.
(k)Cyb

909 Pervertions
03-05-2009, 08:19 AM
[QUOTE=Cybil Rose;3072279]Last night I welcomed home my new pet Albino Pacman Frog. I named her Squishy Rosalie. But I call her rose most of the time. So far she hasn't eaten anything but that's ok sometimes it can take them a long while to get used to their new home before they eat anything. So that makes up a total of 7 pets but only two are exotics.
(k)Cyb

:) i bet rose will be very happy in her new home!

how is laurie [and the rest of your gang?]

take care!

belle

Cybil Rose
03-05-2009, 08:25 AM
:) i bet rose will be very happy in her new home!

how is laurie [and the rest of your gang?]

take care!

belle[/quote]

Laurie is doing just fine and she's really happy.
The cat is curious about Rose, but since Rose is a toxic frog I keep the cat away from the tank. Also the cat was sick last all last week took her to the vet and she's doing better but she's still on meds. My dog is just fine, very bouncy for an 11 year old. And my three fish are great too. As you can probably tell I love a lot of different kinds of animals. Now only if I had the room for a piggy friend in my room I really miss the sounds they make
(k)Cyb

Cybil Rose
03-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Laurie and Rosalie are doing just fine. And I hope all the other exotics are doing well too. I went on a mini shopping spree for them. And I hope they will enjoy their new stuff. I'm worried about the lamp I bought for Rosalie. It doesn't clip on her habitat as easily as in the picture on the box. Now I just wish she'd move out of her water dish so I can put fresh water in it. Rosalie still hasn't eaten yet but I'm not too worried when getting used to a new habitat it mike take a few weeks before they actually eat something.
(k)Cyb

909 Pervertions
06-12-2009, 07:22 AM
hi everyone - thinking about you all, and wondering how the babies are of late? moo.moo and stardust are doing just fine- rascally as ever !

i found this sweet guinea pig video. the mom is so good with her babies.

http://cavia.startpagina.nl/video/jonge-cavias/0/guinea-pig-mother-gave-birth/

hope you have a lovely weekend !

belle

boxerbio
07-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Had a couple of exotics in my past. In '07 I rescued a "ferel" bunny from where I worked and I had him living in the house. I named him Coco Puff (guess why he-he) and I got him to love being petted and handled. He was spoiled beyond belief and he even bit me when I did not pet right away! But I had to give him up when I took a second job. :'(
I also lived with a giant millipede (this should make everyone's skin crawl). I named it (I can't sex those things to save my life) Nova and my mother loved it!:| I used to walk around the house with it in my shirt pocket (the literal pocket pet). I remember that it loved to "lick" the oils/salts off my finger tips. But I got to tell you all bugs make awesome pets!;)
Finally I used to have a bunch of fish. I bred guppies for a short period...finding homes for most of them. Until recently I had two fat goldfish. And I used to have a blue betta named Fishton.

boxerbio
07-10-2009, 07:18 AM
Hey all, I made a mistake on my last post stating "that all bugs make good pets". Ummm...they don't. Many venemous and aggressive species don't obviosly. Most of those are predators. Maybe I should have explained why pets of the arthropod peruasion can make good pets: 1. Not generally as destructive as other animals
2. Many don't make alot of noise-unless you keep crickets or a hissing cockroach
3. Inexpensive to feed
4. Don't puke, pee or poop on your floor (or worse in your shoes)
5. Unless they escape from their home, can be clean (believe it or not Nova used to clean itself like a cat/rabbit)(y)
6. Make good starter pets for kids because of their low maintanance needs...plus if you people had bugs as pets it would help reduce the stigma that bugs are gross
Anyway I just wanted to clear up any confusion. Thanks:D

909 Pervertions
07-10-2009, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=boxerbio;3153447]Had a couple of exotics in my past. In '07 I rescued a "ferel" bunny from where I worked and I had him living in the house. I named him Coco Puff (guess why he-he) and I got him to love being petted and handled. He was spoiled beyond belief and he even bit me when I did not pet right away! But I had to give him up when I took a second job. :'(
I also lived with a giant millipede (this should make everyone's skin crawl). I named it (I can't sex those things to save my life) Nova and my mother loved it!:| I used to walk around the house with it in my shirt pocket (the literal pocket pet). I remember that it loved to "lick" the oils/salts off my finger tips. But I got to tell you all bugs make awesome pets!;)
Finally I used to have a bunch of fish. I bred guppies for a short period...finding homes for most of them. Until recently I had two fat goldfish. And I used to have a blue betta named Fishton.

(*) boxerbio, hallo :)

coco puff is a perfect name for a bunny :P and how rascally he was nipping at you to get a pet!

bugs are not gross to me at all. i love insects. did your mother like the millipede [or just the name "nova" ?]

my comet fish had one eye, and lived for about two years, i don't know how old he was when i won him at a fair. loved him.

happy weekend to you, boxerbio (^)

Cybil Rose
07-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Certain bugs give me the wiggins. But some of them I walk right up to and pick up and cuddle. Yup it's true. Part of me wants to be an entimologist but I don't think I'd be up to it since I can't stand some bugs.
This has just not been my year first Rosalie died( pet store sold her to me sick she didn't eat for a month) Laurie got sick and died she stopped eatting. I lost my father on sunday and my mom will be getting custody of her soon hopefully. I do have a new pet. Another non touch. Jasper is a Tokay Gecko. He's very agressive so I can't pet him but he's(maybe he's a girl) beautiful. I didn't know he was agressive until the person at the store removed him from the cage to put him in a box for me. (The first person I talked to said they were very cuddly.) Kinda pissed that Pet Co where I live doesn't give you correct info on pets.
(k)Cyb

909 Pervertions
08-09-2009, 09:41 PM
hi cybil-

i am sorry to read about the recent losses in your family. how are you doing of late? i hope that you are taking good care.

wanted to write about star, the abyssinian/red guinea pig. tonight, while i was cleaning in their room, i moved both beds/boxes onto the floor to change bedding and papers.

well, he hopped right into the box [as gps always want to be helpful], and started rolling and kicking. moo.moo does not do this behaviour. first time i saw it happen with star, i was worried because it resembles a seizure.

stardust rolls, squeaks, and kicks about, happy as a guinea pig can be :)

909 Pervertions
09-09-2009, 07:44 AM
jane goodall is on npr- she is such an inspiration. listening to her beliefs about there being "hope [for species/environment] if we act now" - and all of her efforts in reaching future generations, who hold a key.

i met a girl squirrel yesterday who is all set for being placed with a woman who will spend time in schools with kids [humane education ]. the squirrel was a "kitchen squirrel" for two years to a couple, and as a result, she has one tooth due to missing out on essential nutrition requirements. now, she cannot be placed back into the wild.

how are you all doing of late? stardust and moo.moo are waiting for the vitamin c tablet/treat :)

Cybil Rose
09-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Hoping all the little ones are doing just fine. Quick question is a guinea pig an actual exotic? I'm really wanting to get one but my apartment complex has a rule against exotics so I just wanted to make sure before I get one and then later have to get rid of the sweet little thing.
(k)Cyb

cybersuebee
10-15-2009, 07:20 PM
I haven't been on the site much in the past few months, but was on this evening and came to the place where I know people will understand what I'm going through. My fur/feather/quilled babies and I have had a rough year - and an even rougher few months lately.

Today one of my hedgehogs passed away. Waiting for her will be the two that I lost last December. Little Kenzie is just the latest in a sting of losses around here: my dog Sarah (who was living with my parents - it's quieter over there) had to be put down in April. My amazing African Grey parrot Simon passed quite unexpectedly in July. My beautiful teddy bear Jesse - a mini Australian Shephed died in August from degenerative heart disease that went undiagnosed until shortly before his death. He'd gone for a run in the woods with me just ten days before. And the death that still haunts me - my silver shaded persian, Tucker fell prey to a coyote or fox two weeks ago.

I can't even process all this right now. It's just too much. Without exception they were wonderful animals - they touched me in a way that I will never forget. I was able to be with most of them when they passed, or shortly before, with the exception of Tucker of course.

Please pray for them. I hope they knew that the love they gave me in this life lives on in my heart. My heart feels like it's broken in a million pieces, but I know that it will hurt less with time, and only the good memories will remain.

Goodnight my princes and princesses. You loved, and you were loved. You will always be with me.

Mom-Sue (f)

909 Pervertions
10-15-2009, 08:07 PM
yes, guinea pigs are exotics.

sue, i'm so sorry for the loss of your family member {{{sue and other critters}}} thinking of you.

moo.moo had the lumpectomy a while back for the lipoma, and star is just one week past his lumpectomy! these lipomas are very common to guinea pigs.

please take care sue, and hang in! ox

FeminineAllure
10-15-2009, 09:11 PM
(((((Sue))))))(f)
(((((star))))))(f)
(((((auntie belle)))))(f)
hugs for moo moo also.
Thinking of you
auntie lisa

butchgorilla
10-16-2009, 07:20 PM
(((Sue))),

This post breaks my heart. There is nothing I can say that will make a bit of difference, but know that you are in my thoughts. I can't imagine this much loss.

I haven't been on the site much in the past few months, but was on this evening and came to the place where I know people will understand what I'm going through. My fur/feather/quilled babies and I have had a rough year - and an even rougher few months lately.

Today one of my hedgehogs passed away. Waiting for her will be the two that I lost last December. Little Kenzie is just the latest in a sting of losses around here: my dog Sarah (who was living with my parents - it's quieter over there) had to be put down in April. My amazing African Grey parrot Simon passed quite unexpectedly in July. My beautiful teddy bear Jesse - a mini Australian Shephed died in August from degenerative heart disease that went undiagnosed until shortly before his death. He'd gone for a run in the woods with me just ten days before. And the death that still haunts me - my silver shaded persian, Tucker fell prey to a coyote or fox two weeks ago.

I can't even process all this right now. It's just too much. Without exception they were wonderful animals - they touched me in a way that I will never forget. I was able to be with most of them when they passed, or shortly before, with the exception of Tucker of course.

Please pray for them. I hope they knew that the love they gave me in this life lives on in my heart. My heart feels like it's broken in a million pieces, but I know that it will hurt less with time, and only the good memories will remain.

Goodnight my princes and princesses. You loved, and you were loved. You will always be with me.

Mom-Sue (f)

909 Pervertions
11-04-2009, 04:47 PM
checking in with everyone. sue, how are you ? lisa, the pigs send lots of love to their auntie - who actually bought them some hay/ hay cakes :)

moo gets allergies to grass, and it becomes apparent in his left eye. i figured out a way to not stress him while cleaning the area/eye. instead of picking him up, holding him [i'm not the big bird of prey; my pigs just do not like being held due to their history before me], i hold the sippy tube instead, and while he sips, i can pet his whole face :)